Feeds

back to article Huawei pumps $6bn sweetener into US biz trio

Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei has taken its turn at cementing US-Sino relations by announcing contracts worth $6bn with California OEMs Qualcomm, Broadcom and Avago - and reckons this will create tens of thousands of job “opportunities” in the States. The three-year deals will provide a much needed cash injection into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Boffin

Huawei = military / ZTE = government

"Huawei has long been suspected of links to the Chinese government and not without reason. The firm’s founder, president and CEO Ren Zhengfei served in the People’s Liberation Army while a US intelligence report last year tied chairwoman Yun Safang to the mysterious Ministry of State Security."

In the west we often fail to understand the political and military structure in China: The government and the military are two quite distinct 'families' with a lot of links and shared purpose but surprisingly little overlap.

Huawei (roughly translated "Go China!) is very much military affiliated, whereas ZTE is more under government control.

I'm sure (well I hope at least) that the intelligence communities understand the separate affiliations of the two companies and the significant implications this has in relation to their position and motivation within the PRP as a whole.

Boffin

Re: Huawei = military / ZTE = government

"Huawei (roughly translated "Go China!) is very much military affiliated..."

In my post below, I say Huawei is the king of RF hardware and is going places. Military RF/wireless hardware is extraordinarily diverse ranging from equipment more intricate and fiddly than an iPhone through to large RF transmitters and microwave radar.

Companies with such a diverse range of engineering expertise have the potential to dominate the market. It's possible Huawei could become the new Philips (once the world's largest electronics company).

Western companies have much to fear from Huawei methinks.

Holmes

Huawei is the new radio frequency (RF) hardware king.

Methinks Huawei is the new 'Microsoft' of radio frequency (RF) hardware. Unlike M$, I'm very impressed with what I've seen of Huawei hardware.

What's not in doubt, is it'll be one of the biggest players around for a long time. Qualcomm and likes ought to be worried.

Re: Huawei is the new radio frequency (RF) hardware king.

I am using their cheap Huawei sonic ($200 unlocked) android right now which the kernel and radio software is immature compared to symbian and s40.

In this particular place, everyone turns off 3g to get phone calls and data since it is impossible for them to stay on umts. I know the towers are Ericsson, their rival so no trickery goes on.

$200 low end (even for their league) device gets 3g signal in this rf engineer hell and stays online.

Checking the hardware, (their full source is open), they use broadcom and qualcomm chips. So, if they really spy as their unethical rivals and their puppets claim, they must be partners with broadcom and qualcomm, red army must be making these companies, American companies add extra stuff in chips right?

Do they know how Telecom companies work? Or they think little fanatic red army people putting their own chips together?

Doesn't NSA etc. Lecture these guys?

Re: Re: Huawei is the new radio frequency (RF) hardware king.

"Do they know how Telecom companies work? Or they think little fanatic red army people putting their own chips together?"

It's likely both. If they're not reverse-engineering Broadcom and Qualcomm chips I'd be very surprised, after all they're big enough to do so and ultimately they want to be free of these US-based suppliers. China would want to do this anyway for strategic reasons. So if not now, then soon it will.

LPF
Thumb Up

If the americans fall for this....

they are morons!

either way , you dont allow your main enimies to build the quipment of your vital defence infastruture, tahts morinics!

Re: If the americans fall for this....

They can gather google, current owner of Motorola and ask a very simple question: "do you produce $200 handsets running android like Huawei and zte?"

Answer to that question would explain the real issue. It is the price. Everyone tries to act like Apple now partly thanks to wall street idiots.

Boffin

If people in the United States fall for those

who would make political capital of representing China as the next «enemy», they are doomed, I suggest, to continued economic decline and what is worse, they risk having their political leadership initiate a thermonuclear war which can put an end to us all. It is not merely the end of post WWII that we are experiencing now, but also the end of post Opium War. East Asia is in the process of regaining the status in world trade it enjoyed before 1840 ; North America and Europe (and the rest of the world) will have to accommodate this change, which, if properly handled, can benefit us all. (Background information on East Asia can be found here : http://japanfocus.org/-Mark-Selden/3061.) But of course, pointing the finger (index or middle, it makes no difference) at the other in order to distract attention from one's own failings is an ancient technique - witness Matthew 7:3-5....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.