back to article Lantronix xPrintServer

As far a tech goes, my encounter with the Lantronix xPrintServer was somewhat unusual. This fag packet of a device plumbs into your network and enables an iPhone, iPad or even an iPod Touch to access the local printers, assuming there’s a Wi-Fi access point on the same subnet. There’s no need to track down an AirPrint compatible …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Timo

or use CUPS

Looks like base AirPrint support is built into CUPS. If you're a medium to large business you probably already have a CUPS server type appliance (headless Linux box) sitting somewhere behind the scenes accepting your print jobs. Add this configuration and you've saved a small chunk of money and another box to configure.

1. Pierre 1
      Go

Or Air Print Activator

If you have a Mac on the network (let's say it's a smaller network), you can use Air Print Activator (http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/) to achieve the same results. And save a few quid in the process. :)

3. Andy ORourke
    Happy

I never thought about printing from my iDevice

Until recently, tried Bonjour print services - Doesn’t seem to work

Tried Airprint - Didn’t work

Tried Fingerprint (£6.69 from http://www.collobos.com) and it worked first time.

Now, I'm no apple fanboi (OK, maybe the devices are growing on me but I still can’t get over my hatred for the 1st iMac that my wife had, I detested that machine) but given my experiences of these just working I was kind of surprised that I couldn’t just print to my PC printer without some outside assistance (and then I thought, “no, this is apple we're talking about, of course they’d make it difficult to interface to a PC!”)

4. Mage Silver badge

But ...

Why doesn't it have a USB port for a printer?

Or did I miss that?

I have Network Printer servers here. They have connections to drive a printer.

My E65 phone via WiFi can print to any printer on the Network configured to appear as LPR. No extra boxes needed. Of course with the "stock" printer driver I have to emulate an HP laser too.

I can make any linux thing (my Router's USB port) or USB, Serial, Parallel make almost the stupidest printer look like a Postcript LPR device. If I'm really in the mood I can do it on NT4 (even for USB via 3rd party USB stack, but parallel is trivial), Win2000, XP or Win7 too.

So why spend £115 to achieve what almost anything you already have that talks to a printer can do for free?

Or what did I not understand?

1. Gordon 10

Re: But ...

AirPrint.

iOS doesn't talk a standard protocol. (although I'm willing to bet its something fairly close just with an apple specific header or encoding.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like