back to article Twitter gets hit with defamation suit downunder

Twitter has been hit with a potentially ground breaking defamation suit from wrongfully accused Australian Twitter ‘stalker’ Joshua Meggitt. Meggitt has been embroiled in an elaborate drama with TV personality and prolific social media maven Marieke Hardy. Last year Hardy wrongly alleged that Meggitt was behind a hate blog …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wombling_Free
    Megaphone

Why not sue EVERYONE?

I'm surprised this oxygen thief isn't suing Microsoft and Apple for writing the operating systems that enabled Twitter; CERN for inventing the WWW; DARPA for inventing the Internet; Switzerland for inventing Helvetica; and the Gutenburg Project for being named after the guy who invented movable type, (thus enabling all of the above).

He could have just hardened the fuck up accepted the poor girl's apology; but NO, that's not THE AUSTRALIAN WAY!

Careful, El Reg; you can be sued for just covering the story most likely...

1. John Tserkezis

Re: Why not sue EVERYONE?

I wouldn't exacly say "poor girl's apology", she did after all name the wrong guy. But suing twitter?

Don't get me wrong, I hate twitter as much as the next bloke, but in this case, it's just shooting the messenger, and there are laws protecting against that - regardless of the "publisher" crap he's pushing...

So he's pretty much stooped to a lower level than her.

Congratulations Joshua Meggitt, you're now officially a Grade-A douchebag.

And no, don't bother with your libel crap on this one, it's not libel if it's a statement of fact.

Or maybe it is, either way I don't care, you're still a douchebag.

2. David 45

Straw clutching?

Isn't there an equivalent of "safe harbour" for this sort of thing? Surely Twitter can't be held responsible for what its users put out?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In my opinion

Joshua Meggitt is an idiot. It would serve him right if he ends up penniless.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't think of a title

Is this really that different to the taking down of Megaupload? They have both delivered illegal content.

I don't necessarily agree with either argument but I can see how this action could succeed.

5. ACx

This is exactly he same as taking down a site because of users adding "illegal" IP. So, given what governments are trying to do, this law suit has to be fair enough. Perhaps hitting a sites like twatter will expose this to the greater internet community.

I actually think, that the more sites are sued and taken down, the more people will realise what the dangers are. I hope this bloke wins. I hope twatter is ordered to make a massive payout.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

[cough]Bullshit[cough]

Get a grip man.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like