Feeds

back to article Motorola 'Intel inside' Android 4.0 phone spied on web

Details of Motorola's first Android 4.0 smartphone have leaked online, with the device also the company's first handset to sport Intel's 'Medfield' Atom platform. Motorola first Android 4.0 handset with Intel The above images of the unnamed device were posted to PocketNow, which says Moto opted out of employing traditional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Who's doing the teardown?

Be interesting to see the first teardown/BoM from iSuppli or whoever for one of these.

Medfield-based handset:

Medfield chip

RF chip

This chip

That chip

Other chip

Chip to store 0s

Chip to store 1s

[etc, ad nauseam]

OMAP-based handset:

OMAP chip including 50% of the handset functionality on one SoC

A handful of others (power, flash, camera, etc)

[Alternative ARM-based SoC suppliers are available]

Gold badge

Nobody wants Intel x86 on a phone. It doesn't run Windows, it offers no compatibility with Windows applications. There's simply no point to it, it is just a desperate attempt by Intel to stay relevant and in control as mobile computing grows.

Yes, it would be nice to have some competition to ARM but it should be from another efficient well designed CPU family (mobile PowerPC would be nice) not the legacy tat that is x86.

Anonymous Coward

Competition to Arm

Maybe but Arm is competition within itself and it does a pretty good job of keeping prices low, and technology high.

Who cares?

Ultimately when I am using my phone I couldn't care less about instruction sets, at the end of the day it's all about how well it's executed, if Intel can make good mobile x86 chips then it's good competition, if not then they will fail. I think intel (and AMD) will do better in the tablet market though where x86/full windows could actually be beneficial.

Later revisions will incorporate more stuff, intel will buy some more companies and it will ultimately end up as a full SOC.

JC_
Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@Giles

Looking at the benchmarks, Medfield seems promising:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/01/intel-medfield-benchmarks/?q4226239=1

Mobile PowerPC? Okay, go ahead and fab some and see what you can come up with. It should be easier to do better than those losers at Intel, right?

This will get to a point with Windows 8 and tablets

Doesn't matter much with smartphones, but we WILL see tablets running Windows 8 on Intel with the ability to run legacy Windows apps. Not that I would want to do that, but you can be sure there will be people who will love it.

Never underestimate the power of MS and Intel to stamp back into the market.

if Intel really want to push their crappy CPUs into mobile phone market, they should better pay their bribes to Apple execs instead of Motorola's

That CPU is not at all crappy, really.

Megaphone

Intel CPU not crappy?

Sheeple, wake up! (http://xkcd.com/1013/) How could you do hard realtime OS on any x86 since 386SL when SMM (http://www.rcollins.org/ddj/Jan97/Jan97.html) kicks in completely invisibly to OS (and it can't be disabled by OS) and steals CPU cycles? GSM (and later) have strict requirements about timing by the way, and while they are an order of magnitude longer than max allowed execution time of SMM handler, there are other problems like lost clock ticks.

Anonymous Coward

App compatibility..

I'm guessing anything done using the NDK is out of the window?

That will kill a lot of games, video players...

Silver badge

Only one question

And the battery lasts how long?

Please Moto stay away from Intel ... they are anticompetitive & restrictive!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.