Feeds

back to article Black Ops has best videogame ending ever

Guinness World Records has confirmed Call of Duty: Black Ops has the greatest game conclusion of all time, after over 13,000 gamers cast their votes in favour of 2010's best-selling FPS. Treyarch's popular shooter, which offers a twist on the JFK conspiracy, pipped Halo: Reach and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

K
Bronze badge
Mushroom

Wait til March...

Mass Effect 3, its the end of an era, and I doubt it will disappoint :)

Unhappy

Red Dead Redemption ?

Really ? I thought it was one of the most ill thought-out endings I've ever encountered. It smacked of the developer getting bored....

wtf

Black Ops has a better ending than Knights of the Old Republic ?

*boggle*

Oh God

...and Portal too?

*gibber*

FAIL

Off the top of my head

I can think of 20 titles more deserving than Crap of Duty: Bollocks. Bastion for a start, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle....

Pint

@richard Wharram

I've heard the portal end credit song sung in the pub on a Friday night!

Just thank...

the children for this.

Silver badge
Devil

Doom 1

The classic doom 1 - shareware episode.

Best ending ever. No contest.

Silver badge
Coat

Some people simply don't like cake! o_O

Anonymous Coward

@DJ 2

But was it sung in Japanese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-lUAqiEB0M

Well..

It is a triumph :-)

Silver badge

@Norfolk 'n' Goode

Or by an 8080?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKJdk_bXzI

Silver badge

Hmm, anything from before 2004 in there? Looks like another survey handed out to 13 year olds.

Personally, the most memorable for me was probably HL2, when time stops and the G-man just walks out at you. That was bloody cool.

Mass Effect is just one B5 rip-off after another, so despite its excellent presentation my brain wouldn't let me get excited by the not-great-machine at not-Babylon-5 about to be fired by the not-Drakh.

Silver badge

Missed Deus Ex 1 from that - the branching endings were all pretty sweet.

Also, Psychonauts. Nuff said.

Indeed

HL2 isn't even in the list so I didn't think of it.

HL2: Ep2 is though :/

TRT
Silver badge

Shadow of the Beast? The opener was incredible too. For its day, of course.

Thumb Down

So we are voting on Guinness world records now?

Doesn't seem very scientific... then I pretty much lost faith when they started allowing breaks for people doing endurance activities (how long can you play dota before you die/give up, how long can you hold your hand on a car etc).

what? Black Ops didn't even have the best ending out of the CoD games, never mind best ending of all time.

They clearly only polled 12-16 year olds.

i agree

It was so bad I can't remember it, I only finished it 6 months ago.

Now Metal Gear Solid 2 - thats an ending (not in a good way, in a total WTF?!? kinda way)

FAIL

Fails on pretty much every level possible

So they are trying to tell us the ending to Bioshock 2, which hasn’t even made the list, is not as good as the ending to Sonic The Hedgehog, and this is supposed to be official? Seriously who wrote this list up?

Meh

My money...

...would have been on Portal 2. The whole storyline was fantastic, and the operatic ending? C'mon...

...Spaaace!...

WTF?

Oops. Sorry.

Deepest apologies to whomever I offended enough for them to downvote my post. You're right. Lego Star Wars was better.

What makes Portal and Portal 2 strong games is that they have a very well written plot. I'd like to see a prequel where you get to see Cave Johnson setting up Aperture Science, where Chell came from, and what exactly happened on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. Maybe even get to play as Doug Rattman?

I have to say GTA IV was probably one of the most depressing games I've played. Vice City was glamorous and it was easy to sympathise with CJ in San Andreas, but in IV you commute round a pretty grimy city to achieve not very much in the end. In your downtime between missions you could go bowling. Wow. Not surprising that Saints Row 2 ripped the piss out of it so much. Hopefully GTA V will be an improvement. Jumping off Mt Chiliad on a motorbike is still good fun with 2005 era graphics.

Ru
Unhappy

Demographic Bias, I suspect

Looks like lots of new stuff, not so many classics in there.

Did anyone really think the ending of Bioshock was awesome, incidentally? It all went a bit meh after you meet Andrew Ryan. Halo 3's ending was pretty tedious compared to Halo, I thought. And Fallout 3? The ending that was notoriously rubbish and hated by so many people they had to patch in an alternative ending with some DLC? Argh, I'm getting all freshly riled up about it after all this time.

F3

Can't have been that bad or good an ending as I don't remember it at all :)

Mushroom

Talking about endings, how can StarCraft/Broodwar be missing from the list?

The three ending cinematics are just amazing. Particularly, the UEN Newsreel at the end of the Terran campaign is one of my favorite cutscenes in the history of videogames.

Damn that Kerrigan !

abc

Thumb Down

Rubbish

I see nothing from before the dark ages of console hell are on this list. Did they troll Facebook for their silly poll? Somehow I'm skeptical of the opinions of people who think the First Person Shooter was "invented" with Halo.

Planescape: Torment was one of the finest games ever made, with some of the most interesting possible endings. But none of the current crop of console kiddies would know anything about that. The original Fallout's ending is far better than the yawnfest ending of Fallout 3. And the fact that Deus Ex (the original, not the smegging sequels) is not on that list is a real crime.

Jet Set Willy

(one for the teenagers)

yes, this

I came on the forums to post this. Does Black Ops end with the main character throwing up down the loo, all in 48K? I think not.

Silver badge

Mine was bugged

I'd get to the last (it think) level and it just crashed. Every time.

I like to think of it as clever preparation for life.

Being strictly honest I never completed it "properly". I just did the poke to reduce the number of items to collect.

Actually

JSW1 was impossible to complete without pokes iirc. Some bugs in it.

I completed JSW2 though but I have to admit it was in the 90s on an emulator so I could save :)

g e
Silver badge

Portal / Portal 2 not top?!?!?!?!

I guess the cake WAS a lie after all... :o(

Black Ops peed me off with the difficulty settings implementation, don't think I ever finished it.

Silver badge

"Black Ops peed me off with the difficulty settings implementation," -- how so ? It has three difficulties that are fairly well labelled!

I thought black ops had the worst ending of all the CoD games.

WTF?

Yeah

Many, many better endings than Black Ops, surely? One of my personal favourites is Panzer Dragoon Saga which had a very, very clever ending that meant it was something personal to the one playing. I recall her indoors saying "Your face was a picture" when it had finished. Superb stuff.

Damn

I've still got that in the attic and finished it but, again, I remember it not :(

Care to remind me? :)

Stop the Express

Should have been on there.

Well done for missing it. Big Congraturations.

WTF?

Really !

Red Dead Redemption number 5? That game had more sould and characters that I could get into. Than the carbon copy hero's of fracking CoD.

Happy

The best part for me on RDR.....

......was the transition from America into Mexico at sunset with the tune specially written by Jose Gonzalez playing in the background. This is one of the best sequences of gaming (in my relatively short gaming life) that i have ever played. My mouth was wide open as the music faded in and then back out at the end of the song. An absolute genius bit of game design.

Coat

JFC Conspiracy?

I'm not trolling here, and I've never played this game before, but what's the JFC Conspiracy? I guess it's a typo, so I imagine this game either has something to do with an assassinated American President or the recipe for fried chicken

Well...

Well if they are going to go round correcting articles the moment someone makes a bad joke, then what's the point?

Thumb Down

Worst ending: Assassins Creed

I thought the Assassins Creed ending was totally crap. The game itself was great, but defeat the master, get ejected out the memory projector thingy, gain "eagle vision", access the conference room and the computer within it, look at a few symbols about the lab, roll credits, then... stuck in the sodding lab forever! Brilliant!

Silver badge

How about Descent 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWVMR6Ll1E

It was quite good, I remember.

This post has been deleted by its author

Pirate

At least I learnt something from all this

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.

Surely..

It's Elite

There was an ending? A truly fantastic game all the same, but I don't remember an ending to it.

There isn't - i was being ironic.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.