Feeds

back to article Phones 4U intros Jump plan to speed smartphone upgrades

Phones 4U has come up with a new phone package it claims makes it easier to change handsets. Called Jump, the plan separates airtime from handset. So, a £37.99-a-month, two-year Jump contract actually comprises £15, which goes off to your network operator, and Phones 4U's phone-specific fee, the Jump Service Charge (JSC). A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Scandi model

Blimey, we're actually getting somewhere.

The operators might actually have to compete and maintain standards of service rather than just be happy with locking you into a contract and then sodomising you for 1-2 years.

Not really

It's not really any different to now they're just making it easier to do the following dance.

1. Sign up for a 2 year contract with a free phone

2. After 1 year sell the phone you got for free and use that money to pay off the remainder of your 2 year contract

3. Sign a new 2 year contract with a free phone.

The difference is that 2. didn't provide you with enough money to pay off your contract then you get to spread the remainder over the next 2 years. Of course if you do this every 12 months you'll very quickly get to a sizeable monthly sum.

Of course if you can afford to invest the money in a phone upfront it's much cheaper not to bother with a contract, buy a nearly new phone off of ebay and go payg or sim only. I've had my current phone for a year and it has cost me £320 including my line rental so £27 a month for a smartphone, calls, texts and Internet. If I keep the same phone for another year then that will fall to £18 per month.

Good idea and if implemented well i'm sure people will "jump" into it.

if its a winning model, lets wait till the other independants pick it up. My experience of P4U is less than brilliant and i would cycnically thnk that this package may fall aprt in reality quite quickly.

You cant escape the cost of the hardware and pulling a smoke and mirrors trick will only work once or twice on a few people. I reckon after 3 phones, you could still be paying for the first one somehow and end up on a 60 quid a month bill simply to have a slightly newer phone.

happy to be proven wrong tho.....

This topic is closed for new posts.