back to article Pentax pushes super sturdy snapper

Pentax pushed rugged photography into new terrains this week, launching a pair of 16Mp compact cameras that promise to perform under the most demanding of outdoor conditions. The Pentax Optio WG-2 and WG-2 GPS may look like Optimus Prime's caboose, but they're built to pull through even the harshest of Decepticon onslaughts. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris 3

Looks well weapon.

Actually, I find myself tempted.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

temperatures as low as -10 degrees C

yeah, this rocks! Pull out your e-wallets, you aspiring Himalaya climbers, Siberia explorers, -10 C, real hardcore. And I'm sure it feeds off AAs, in case your ultra-high-tech Li-ion battery decides that, at -10 C, it goes up to 36 shots and then, with the rest of juice displays on the snow/ice/mud proof screen: "I'm afraid you can't do that, Dave".

uhm, and that dog clip goes very well with that arctreryx climbing parka, yessir, very good choice, if I may say so.

4. Tim #3

It is kinda tempting, I just wish it had an optical viewfinder.

Also, is there a lens cover built in?

5. Bassey

Bit wimpy

I was expecting something seriously rugged from the looks of it. 12m diving is okay, if nothing to write home about and the 1.5m drop is underwhelming at best. But -10C is positively pathetic. We've beaten that in parts of the UK twice in the last week whilst your average continental skiing holiday is going to go way below that. Having spent a bit of time in Norway, Finland and Northern Canada -10 would be considered a bit average. I would say -25C would be a minimum spec for something marketing itself to adventure sports people.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks nice

Looks nice, ok survival spec though 1.5m drop is nothing these days and I would of felt byt the looks of it that it could indure more of a height drop. The temp aspect does seem nothing special and no mention humidity limits. But it looks the part.

It also looks like it can double up as a belt buckle, which would be different and allows you to say "say hello to my little friend" with great confidence I suspect.

Also no mention of battery life - camera's should at least have a listing of how many shots you can take with a full charge/fresh battery's and the resolution. Also something thats an adventure camera should also IMHO be able to shoot at night with some infrared mode which isn't hard to do on a camera from my understandings.

7. Jacqui

-10c

My Fuji S9500's have both been down to that in the UK on group dog walks and survived.

The only thing I had to do was store the NiMh AA batteries in a pocket when not in use

as they "froze". Sticking the batts in my pocket next to a warmer allowed me to use themin the camera. Usage them meant they generated enough heat to keep working...

I stopped using my camera bag at those temps as the lens would condense then freeze and normal wipes failed miserably at -5 or lower.

More modern cameras that used deicated batts (including a ~500UKP Canon SLR) died a death on the same walk.

This topic is closed for new posts.