Feeds

back to article Android users more likely to put out

Android users are more likely to be slutty, it transpires – having more one night stands, signing up to dating sites more often and being more likely to have sex on a first date, according to a Match.com survey of single Canadian mobile users. The figures are a dramatic reworking of previous research in the area that suggested …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

"even more reliable than a starsign.?

So, a fraction of a percentage point above chance then? Wow, how absolutely amazing.

Why slag off astrology? There are plenty of otherwise intelligent people who hold some very specific beliefs about what some god or other wants them to do. Wear a silly hat, don't do any work on some particular day of the week, etc. Can't see a huge amount of difference.

Re: why slag off astrology

I don't see why astrology being just like several other ludicrous belief systems is a reason NOT to slag it off. You're going to have to explain your reasoning on that one.

I just think they get a relatively bad press. You don't see Russell Grant being given an automatic seat in the house of lords so he can impose his belief system on the rest of us.

Silver badge
Angel

So if we spread the heckling more evenly among the lunatics we're okay?

Astrology isn't exactly chance - if one believes in it hard enough, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course, it's still bullshit, but beliefs have a measurable effect regardless of whether they're true. That's part of why they're so hard to get rid of.

@ Just Thinking

I'm not slagging anything off -- astrology can be a fun source of entertainment. If you care to produce a scientific study which gives a better than chance predictive rate for it I'll up my figures accordingly.

I also never mentioned any other beleif since the article didn't either, or should I have mentioned that I don't think a teapot exists between the earth and the moon just for BBC style "ballance"?

Anonymous Coward

I've always wondered if there mightn't have been something to astrology / similar systems in the past.

When we were more subject to the effects of the seasons you can imagine it making a difference to a child's development if it was gestated when food was plentiful, started walking when the weather was good enough to be outside all the time, started 'proper' talking when more adults were inside sheltering rather than working - could almost believe that sort of thing might produce predictable differences in physical and mental attributes to people born at particular times of year.

Obviously these days those sort of things don't apply and so it's definitely in the group of scamming-the-gullible-entertaining-the-frivolous activities along with Santa / Satan etc

Anonymous Coward

Agreed

comment body

Silver badge

Yea, its all real

The same thing happens to 1/12 of the population all the time...

I've overheard the following conversation:

A: (while reading paper) What star sign are you?

B: Leo

A: Your horiscope for today says blah blah blah

B: Yea, all of that happened to me today

A: Ops, sorry, that was for Taurus.

Some people just want to believe and make things fit.

Devil

Do NOT slag off Astrology!

It's self-help for people who have given up on free will.

Re I've always wondered if.......

"When we were more subject to the effects of the seasons you can imagine it making a difference to a child's development"

This is still the case and has been shown in many studies. Children born in July/August do MUCH worse than children born in Sept/Oct. They also have a higher incidence of suicide (about 10% higher which is ENORMOUS). But, of course, this has nothing to do with the position of the planets. It is down to the Western Education system being based around a school calendar year rather than the absolute age of the child. So a child born at the end of August is almost a year younger when they start school than a child born at the start of September. This makes a huge difference to how they start learning which has a correspondingly large knock-on effect later in life.

Due to their poorer results, poorer job, less money etc they are more likely to suffer anxiety/depression and go on to harm themselves.

But that STILL doesn't mean there is ANYTHING to astrology.

It just proves that society is slightly biased towards a particular date of birth.

Unhappy

I've had three Android phones, and two Android fondleslabs. None of these has improved my sex life. Indeed catching up with iPlayer in bed has decreased opportunity markedly.

Can I have my money back ? Am I alone or can we make this a class action claim?

Joke

You must be holding it wrong

Anonymous Coward

Have you tried joining more dating websites as the article suggests?

Unhappy

I chose Android 'cos I'm a freetard. Pay to meet? Might be mistaken for a fanboi ...

Silver badge

@Stuart 22

I thought the article indicated that Android users were more likely to be "easy", thus the fact it hasn't improved your sex life is perhaps an indication of your "desirability"?

Unhappy

Symbian (l)users?

I guess we just disappear below the noise floor.

Silver badge
Joke

Slight spelling error

You did mean "sybian" didn't you......

Meh

Let me sit on that one for a while

Is it Anna or Belle?

Anonymous Coward

So which one

should a young British lesbian pick?

Silver badge

Windows Phone 7?

Silver badge
Joke

Best phone for a young British lesbian?

The one with the strongest haptic feedback, obviously.

Real conversation overheard in Tesco's phone section:

"It says this phone is exciting. Should I be excited by my phone?"

"Dunno - is it set to vibrate?"

Go

iTongue

Thumb Up

I love the tone in articles like this. Excellent distraction from work...... right, what's next?

What do you mean 'work'?

Silver badge

Indeed

"She has a masters."

I rofl'd.

Madeira m'dear?

Android users more likely to put out...

... the cat, the wine, their cigars or the lamps?

Holmes

Sex on first date, well...

I am sure a dozen people before me already said it, but is there an app to discern those "more slutty" from "more braggy"?

Paris Hilton

Apples and Oranges

Based on past research covered on El Reg, I was of the belief that Apple users got more!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/iphone_users_getting_more/

So taking this into Account, does it mean theres a fruity-droid love-fest going on, with Apple users getting more, from the Android users who put out more?!

Surely if you put out more, your getting more?

Paris obviously uses both...

Bronze badge
Boffin

Confounding Factors

I suspect the difference is that they other "study" (if either of these are worthy of that term) controlled for age and sex, by only including 30-year-olds and putting men and women in separate groups. This one, as far as I can tell, did not.

Either is a valid way to look at it I suppose, depending on what exactly you're trying to measure.

Meh

You're quite right, just 'putting out' is a more negative way of saying 'getting some' possibly to reflect the way that the author feels about each brand.

Anonymous Coward

Perhaps

it was weighted for different practices, and Apple users are more likely to take it up the ar*e, just out of sheer habit?

Silver badge

The iPad users have stopped going out since...

...their latest attachment came out

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/26/ipad_fleshlight_design/

Devil

She has a masters

Great now when people ask what phone they should get. I can retort it depends, do you put out?

So that explains

why, since I have had my Blackberry, I haven`t struck lucky at all.

Where can I get a blow-up android from??

Blackberries

in my experience the only people I see using Blackberries are 12 year old girls so I guess potential dates view you as either clueless or Glitter-esque.

Just saying.

Anonymous Coward

A lot of bankers use Blackberries.

This post has been deleted by its author

Happy

So...

Android users are cheap, in more ways than one.

No news there, then.

Anonymous Coward

lack of respect

...and no one would respect them after, because they own an Android ;)

Joke

It's undeniable...

...that most of them have a habit of blatantly exposing their private information to the Chocolate Factory in a fairly sluttish, skanky manner. "Ooooh, rifle through my data some more with your algorithms, Mr. Wonka-Donka-Donka..."

xyz
Paris Hilton

there are much better sites out there...

benaughty and adultfriendfinder spring to mind.....it's impossible not to pull (for nefarious reasons) on them. Why go through all that wining and dining stuff with an evens chance (tops) of getting your leg over on Match, when you can just select'n'bonk on the other sites? No one gives a rats' ass what phone you have either.

Anonymous Coward

... the Canadian psychotherapist-cum-"dating expert" ...

Interesting image.

Anonymous Coward

You've got to think that's a very specific dating preference.

Does it taste of maple syrup?

Silver badge

Isn't that what the El Reg-ers refer to as a "trick cyclist" (or something like that)?

Anonymous Coward

yeah

Did she have to go somewhere special to train for that?

Let us not forget

We're talking about Canadians here.

Results are skewed as there's little else to do in Canada.

Silver badge

HEY!

There's hockey

And, er, Snow Shovelling

And... oh, whatever.

Anyways, I do love the line "perhaps because they all work in graphic design and don't have any real work to do."

between the two bit's of research...

A lot of users have moved from Apple to Android.

We can deduce from the research that these are people with somewhat slutty tendencies have moved from Apple to Android. It is surprising that people with slutty tendencies will move brands when something better comes along? Thought not.

Being pedantic, no you can't

They only quote percentages.. 55% is greater than 50% when the total is equal, but 55% of 100 users is less than 50% of 1,000.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.