Feeds

back to article Kinect for Windows ships with SDK 1.0

Microsoft started shipping Kinect for Windows hardware today alongside version 1.0 of the official Kinect for Windows SDK, expanding the company's motion-control operation from Xbox 360 gaming to desktop computing. Specifically built for developers, the new Kinect for Windows sensor can see objects from as close as 400mm, while …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Why would anyone buy this? The xbox version already works on the PC and it has been said that the only difference to shorten the range is in firmware. If that is the case, how long till it is applied to the standard kinect? A commercial licence is pointless because there is no one with the PC version to sell any apps to.

JDX
Gold badge

Does the XBox version work with the official SDK?

Also if you're doing it for work, you have to follow the rules.

Exactly what rule prevents a company plugging an xbox kinect into a pc and providing it as a solution? And who are companies playing by these so called rules making a solution for when no consumer wants to pay twice as much for a kinect on the PC?

WTF?

£207???

You can buy an Xbox AND a Kinect for that!

On their own they are <£90.

Silver badge

But...

then you buy 3 games at £40 for your Kinect and you've spent £210.

You have to remember console hardware is greatly subsidised by the manufacturers and they make their money from the games.

Coat

$249 (£207) - WTF ?

Can someone tell me where the feck you get that exchange rate from (MS pricing team) as I'd love to convert some sterling to dollars at the Post Office then find this bank that will give me £207 for $249.

UK consumers having our pockets picked.

FAIL

Why would anyone want this?

Have they not seen how shit Kinect games are on the Xbox?

It seems like loads of journalists (that should know better) fell in love with the Minority Report hype spewing from Microsoft's arse, and then totally ignored the fact the actually deliverable sucked badly....

Now you have the SDK, you can make even more lame jumping/waving games, or totally useless applications that Engadget will report about on a slow news day.

MIc
Facepalm

pocket change

If you are actually trying to build a product $250 is pocket change. If you have any staff you are ripping through cash much faster than 250 bones per day. And is it really worth it to wait for the freetards to hack out firmware updates of low quality? I'm pretty sure this product isn't for the hacker monkeys.

JDX
Gold badge

@Ben Norris

>>Exactly what rule prevents a company plugging an xbox kinect into a pc and providing it as a solution?

I don't know if there is a rule, but MS are quite at liberty to do this. You might find that unlikely, but as someone who's worked in the games industry this is pretty normal. For instance when I worked on games in the PS2/XBox era, game-dev companies were not allowed to do their development on retail consoles, they had to buy special dev-kit versions costing £1000s. If they were found out using retail units, they could have their dev-license revoked.

This topic is closed for new posts.