Samsung sent its latest Galaxy handset into orbit today, unveiling the Advance S, an Android blower that apparently strikes a balance between style, power and performance. Of course it does. The Samsung Galaxy Advance S boasts a 1GHz dual-core processor; a 4in, 480 x 800 OLED display; 768MB of Ram; and up to 16GB built-in …
How is this phone any different to the Galaxy S2?
Sounds like the specs for the 2 year old HTC Desire...
Apart from the ram perhaps...
Difference between this and the S2...
OK, so pay attention at the back...:
* Slightly smaller screen (4" vs 4.3")
* Slightly less RAM (768 MB vs 1GB)
* Slightly less grunty CPU (1GHz vs 1.2 GHz)
* Slightly lower quality cameras (5MP vs 8MP primary, 1.3MP vs 2MP secondary)
* Slightly lower capacity battery (1500 mAh vs 1650 mAh)
Also, the Advanced S is shipping with Android 2.3 with no mention of any planned ICS update. Since ICS has been announced as coming for the S2, the fact that this isn't mentioned for the Advance S could suggest it won't be coming at all for that particular handset.
Basically "Advance S" is spot on... it's better than an S(I) but not as good as an SII.
So it's inconsequential at best then?
But no, at the same time. Probably priced at those who can't afford the full-fat of the S2/S3?
The S2 is still a premium phone, and to be able to get handsets that look as good, and perform almost as well, into the hands of the less well off/kids likely to drop or destroy phones, then they've got a conveyor belt of premium upgraders in a few years...
Could be perfect..
If it can be had on a £20 p/m contract with no upfront cost it's perfect. There's a definite gap in the market for Skype-capable phones with a front facing camera at that price.
S2 available at that price
On t mobile via tesco phone shop
A warmed over Galaxy S
This sounds extremely similar to my original Galaxy S, which since being upgraded to 2.3.3 has performed very well for me - the only difference I can see in fact, is the LED for the camera, and an extra processor core. With the same battery though, I'd worry that the battery life would be even worse than mine.
Would have been nice to know what market this phone was aimed at in the review. Comparison between S2/S3, etc.
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? If you think 3D printing is just firing blanks, just you wait