back to article First-person shootout world record set

MuchDifferent's gaming world record attempt - to pit one thousand players against each other in mass first-person combat - took place this weekend. It missed its target by a single user. The company's Man Vs Machine game still set the record, though, with 999 people battling it out over the net. The record, independently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suspect...

that there's one person out there who really isn't going to be popular in that community for some time

2. Aqua Marina

Did they take...

... player number 0 (Zero) into account?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ew the lag

FPS at this level is akin to shopping in the high street during christmas week, slow and not as much fun as you would of thought.

I'm sure there are many a non-sharded MMO out there who would now jump onto this bandwaggon. Still all harmless fun and thats a plus in current times.

Though what was the latency like playing with this number and does re-inacting Matrix style bullet-time scences count!

4. tim morrison
    Mushroom

yeah, but...

it was awful. worked fine for the first 15 seconds......not sure that it's solid enough for a commercial offering just yet

1. Peter H. Coffin

That's probably how long it took for the first half of the players to get shot or step into lava or whatever triggers death animations.

5. Richard 51
    Mushroom

What exactly was achieved?

Eve online and I am sure WoW have regularly 20K + gamers playing at any one time.. They couldn't have all been shooting at each other so not sure what differentiates this from any of the MMOG

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

neither of those are fps and eve is heavily roomed off so there's rarely more than a few dozen in any given star system (bar Jita but they're all just trading)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DOH!

I knew I forgot to do something this weekend.

7. Bill Cumming
    Terminator

i took part ...

It was a good laugh till the last 5 mins of the game.

Up till that point the human side was doing quite well close to the machines spawn point nice mountain for cover next to the machine spawn area.

Then the machines got the upper hand and camped directly out side the humans spawn points.

Inside spawn points you can't shoot, but CAN be killed.

Machine spawn points was an 4-5 open areas so they can move in any direction once they spawned.

BUT the humans spawn inside a few vehicles with a single exit.

The machines camped out directly in front of the exit to the humans spawn points, killing us as soon as we spawned. a few humans got lucky and was able to get outside the spawn point for a second and kill a few Machines before getting killed in a hail of laser fire! :(

8. E 2

Excellent

A one thousand player death match!

9. Ben 42
    Mushroom

Based on my experience with 64 player servers in other games, I can't imagine what a clusterfsck this must have been. Not that I wouldn't be interested in trying it, but my expectations would be low.

Icon because that's what I imagine a 1000 player FPS would look like most of the time. ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like