back to article Scalextric restarts space race with Star Wars craft

Hornby is at the London Toy Fair 2012 this week putting the Force into slot racing classic Scalextric with a series of Star Wars race kits. Yes, while the series' creator, George Lucas, prepares for his 3D rendition of Episode 1: The Phantom Manarse to hit cinema screens, fans can look forward to pitching Star Wars ships against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

The Endor set looks far too cheap to retail at £70 shirley.

This post has been deleted by its author

jai
Silver badge

it's even worse than that...

from the article:

"That's the Scalextric Start Star Wars Battle of Endor, which will retail for £99."

and don't call me Shirley...

Thumb Down

Looking at the track...

The guy on the inside has a real unfair advantage as he has less to travel than the outside track. Inside has 3 inside corners, while the outside track only has 2.

Anonymous Coward

either use the force or "that is not the lane you want to race in" - that should sort it out

Bronze badge

Tighter corners on the inside though

I want, but £70?

I have a completely irrational desire to own the speeder bike set...

Shame they didn't get them to hover on powerful magnets that move under the track!

Ahhh! So when Lucas said he was done performing unsanitary acts on the films, he didn't mean merchandise tie-ins ;)

Silver badge

Lucas dropped directors fees in exchange for rights to merchandising.

Which was how he made $500 million between 1977 and 1980 from the merchandise...!

So no wonder new toys are continually being created long after the films are (apparently) done with.

Pirate

It's working! IT'S WORKING!

A far better incarnation would have been a pod racer track; hills, tunnels, boulders and all.

Anonymous Coward

...but since that'd be episode one that doesn't mean it would be better.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Pod Racing!

But better on TCR or something like where you can change lanes at will for Dick Dastardly manoevers...

Silver badge

Nice! Can someone make a Tron Lightcycles set please?

With original and Legacy cycles.

Yesyesyesyesyes!

The X-Wing looks too wide to overtake the TIE advanced x1.

Facepalm

eh?

why would you want to overtake...so he can shoot you in the back?

WTF?

I agree, they do look ridiculously large!

They're fine if you want to reenact a chase but for racing? No.

The speeder bikes look much more fun, and my son's birthday is coming up fairly soon....

Anonymous Coward

oh god

Should I admit that the X-Wing/TIE fighter set looks brilliant?

Anon, in any case...

Silver badge

Stay on target

Only one thing to do with the x-wing/tie version:

Make a really long straight track and build a trench to put it in

Thumb Up

Speeder Bikes

Do they make that noise as they whizz through the trees?

Also, shurely a pod-racer set would make more sense with the 3D release of Ep1 around the corner!

Joke

Jar Jar Filter is Active.

What is this Episode 1 that you talk of, there have only been three starwars movies.

Shame they only made one Matrix film as well. https://www.xkcd.com/566/

FAIL

Crap

The big thing with scalextric is that you can modify and expand the layout, add cars and generally be a bit imaginative, as well as competitive. These sets are one trick ponies which will bore their owners after 10 minutes IMHO.

Anonymous Coward

Agreed, it's Lego all over again - these days so much of it is specially created plastic parts with only a few original lego bricks thrown in, you can't make much beyond the three models in the instructions.

FAIL

Meh

Looks about as useful as the dreadful Scalextric MotoGP that they tried a while back...

Instability just ruins it.

EzJ

Hmmmm

Am I the only person on the planet who thought T.C.R was better than Scalextric in just about every way possible (probably explains why they are no longer in production). A Speeder Bike T.C.R. set, now that would be something I would buy in a heartbeat...for the little one of course...or jam car Tie Fighters :D

Silver badge

Bah!

Nonsense! Tric-trac Star Wars is the only canonically correct idiom!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums