back to article Ultrabooks won't smash tablets, says analyst

Ultrabooks will not outsell tablets, the next five years at least, though the new skinny laptop category will experience unit-shipment growth three times as fast as the tablet. So says UK-based market watcher Juniper Research. It predicts that 178m Ultrabooks will ship in 2016, from just under 20m in 2012. But the number of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Holmes

Easy to see why

- in Joe Punter's eyes tablets are still the shiny-shiny, while ultra's are still "boring ol' laptops".

- Ultra's are twice the price. Joe Punter is twice as skint as last year.

- Why buy a new conventional laptop replacement, when you can get a skinny one with equal or better performance. Nobody will buy an ultra *as well as* a conventional. These figures just reflected Junipers estimation that ultra's will replace conventional laptops in the normal upgrade cycle.

In 5 years time it will be 3x growth? I may as well has stuck a torch up my own arse to come up with the numbers that prediction.

1. Dave Fox
      Go

Nobody will buy an ultra *as well as* a conventional???

Who says?

I have a 16gb i7 desktop replacement laptop that I generally use on a day to day basis, and for more heavyweight tasks.

However, I also have an 11.6" Macbook Air (which is an Ultrabook IMO) that I use when travelling for both business & pleasure.

Different tools for different job!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The "nobody" referred to is obviously a metaphorical not a literal, but well done for extrapolating your single use-case to the market. People now have job insecurity and negative equity where once they had disposable income.

2. QuinnDexter
    Stop

Five year forecasts...

Has anyone released how accurate their earlier five year forecasts were? Do they have caveats that any new equipment type that is released over the next few years and scuppers their predictions isn't their fault?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acer seems to be the only one

that is excited about Ultra-FLOP books. Other mfgs. want to terminate this crap books that are over-priced and that under deliver on performance. AMD's Ultrathin will likely kick Intel's arse handily with a $200 lower price and better performance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah but will it blend?

I'd love to see one of these new aluminium-clad beasts blended :D

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please, please, no more analyst drivel

You might as well start running a horoscope column; "next week, you will have an unexpected hardware failure... and be careful of the letter 'P' "...

The predictions would be more accurate if you published a random selection of technical terms coupled with a period of time and money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

P is for piss poor engineering

There is a lot of ANAList opinion on the letter P. It's usually associated with Piss as in Piss Poor engineering, typical of PC hardware and O/Ss. Look up Windoze in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of somone Peeing on Bill Gates.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not a chance

Who in their right mind is going to pay $1,400 for a commoditized Windows PC?

Great plan Wintel, "Hey, you know how Apple came out with the Air 3-4 years ago? How about make a cheaper, knock off Windows version and sell it for $400 more than Air and 3-4x the price of a Windows laptop." Not a chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like