back to article Mellanox chops 10-gig Ethernet switch, adapter prices

Mellanox Technologies is not happy about the 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch and adapter ramp, and it is doing something about it: slashing its own prices. In the wake of its acquisition of InfiniBand switch-maker Voltaire, Mellanox last year launched its SwitchX converged Ethernet and InfiniBand ASICs for 10GbE and 40GbE switches …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
E 2
WTF?

What the foo?

'"There is definitely demand for 10GE, but it has been limited by high cost," Gilad Shainer, '

This guy gets paid to figure that out?

Anonymous Coward

Milking it for all it is worth

Rather like waiting for CPU speeds to increase

Bronze badge

like it

I checked performance figures for SX1035 and it's quite amazing.

I wish I could make a small network with such stuff at home ;)

Under $400 for 10Gbps adapter - well I think that goes long way towards increasing adoption.

Silver badge

Sir

If you are able to generate that level of traffic on a home network, you will quickly start finding other bottlenecks that are harder to overcome, such as disk write speeds

E 2

4x Infiniband

4x (ie 10Gb/s) dual port IB cards can be had on ebay for less than $50. So a point to point network between 3 or 4 machines with IPoIB and some routing magic is not expensive.

I did this with three such cards and three PCs. I measured 5.8 Gb/s testing with netperf, and upwards of 300 MB/s NFS file server operations (limited by my RAID array).

I do not run MPI code at home, so I think getting DDR or QDR cards would be overkill, but 10Gb/s IB proved to be very enabling, very much faster than gigabit Ethernet.

Silver badge

Sir

"300 MB/s NFS file server operations (limited by my RAID array)"

I think that is a protocol limit, you should be able to push that up to around 350 using ftp.

Anonymous Coward

NDA agreements.

Slight case of RAS syndrome methinks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums