back to article Samsung NX200 20.3Mp APS-C compact system camera

Samsung's NX200 compact system camera (CSC) is not a mere upgrade of its predecessor but a game-changer for the company’s place in the mirrorless cameras market. Not only does the NX200 look completely different to the NX100 but Samsung has also upped its game and provided this newcomer with head-turning specs designed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. IanPotter
    Thumb Up

Much to like

The NX200 does look like an interesting choice, with a nice selection of compact primes (Sony take note!) making for a compact and portable kit.

The only downside I can see is the loss of the accessory port that the NX100 had and therefor no way to use the EVF that was available for that camera which does look like a retrograde step.

2. hexx
    FAIL

"16mm f/2.4 Pancake lens (24mm equivalent), a light, bright optic, particularly well-suited to low-light and shallow depth of field work"

- really? how's that well suited for shallow depth of field if it's 16mm (24mm) lens? good luck with that! to get shallow depth of field on wide angle lens you need to be very close to subject and even then f/2.4 isn't enough (this is crop) and you'd facing problems with distortions (wide angle)

3. nichomach
    Go

Viewfinder

"There’s no viewfinder but the hotshoe could accommodate one, however, Samsung hasn't such an accessory yet."

Google EVF10?

1. Jerome 0

Yup, that's an EVF alright. It fits nicely into the accessory port on the NX100 - the same port that Samsung have decided to leave off of the NX200. If there ever is an EVF for the 200, it will have to be a new design.

1. nichomach
        Thumb Up

Fair enough, quite right.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drop the gimmicks, add useful features

If I want to make my pictures look like drawings, or oil paintings, or acid-induced fever dreams, I can do that on my computer, thankyouverymuch. Drop that crap, and put useful features in the camera, like high dynamic range capture, panoramic assist (you don't even have to do the stitching in the camera - just help me do the pointing to acquire the pictures), and GPS/magnetometer geotagging. Better still - give me the ability to quickly annotate the picture - maybe a simple voice recorder function?

1. hexx

I'm with you regarding GPS. but voice recorder? - use your phone instead :)

2. Robert E A Harvey

I agree about the stupid internal processing. Take pictures with camera. Bugger them about with computer. Still have proper picture somewhere.

3. Mark 65

My biggest issue is with all these different manufacturers bringing out their own lens systems rather than standardising - then again when you standardise you need to have continually good gear as there's no other lock-in. I'd much prefer it if they stuck to the m4/3 or something. Adaptors are all well and good but then that's another bloody thing to buy. Canon and Nikon can have their own systems as they have a massive lens range of fantastic quality. Samsung? Meh.

As a wise man once said: "you're not buying a camera, you're buying a system". That's something worth remembering and why I'd favour m4/3 (although I don't like a 2x crop factor).

5. Dave 126

can you compare to the Sony Nex-5 or 3?

the latter can be had for around the £350 mark and features an APS-C sensor? Can you note the pros of this Sammy over the Sonys?

Cheers!

1. Jerome 0

One advantage of the NX200 is the controls. These things are often a matter of taste, but most people agree that the Samsung way of doing things is much nicer and more intuitive than Sony's.

Another big advantage to Samsung is the lenses. If you're after a mirrorless camera that's truly portable, Samsung's range of lenses is particularly appealing, and includes a nice selection of very high quality pancake prime lenses (with more planned on the roadmap). Sony's lenses look rather bulky and/or poor quality by comparison.

In fact, the only real advantage I can think of for the NEX range is the price, at least until you get up to the rather lovely top of the range NEX-7, which adds a few features missing from the NX200 (built-in EVF, built-in flash). But then it is considerably more expensive.

6. Graham Wilson
    Thumb Up

Samsung NX200 20mp - good results, especially in low light.

The low light handling for a 20mp sensor is pretty good. Noise in the ISO 6400 is quite noticeable and there's some colour bleeding, but still it's not bad for that speed. Also, noise is well weighted, for example in low light grays at the pixel level there's not noticeable numbers black pixels (as with cheap sensors).

Samsung has the makings of product that will shake up Canon and Nikon methinks.

7. Robert E A Harvey
    Unhappy

My sydlexia must be on tonight.

I managed to read APS-C as 'arse'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like