Is any...

This topic was created by David W. .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Is any...

...one else horrible confused/bewildered/bewitched/bothered by El Reg's, err, interesting, forum layout? I mean, I've seen crazy-ass places where there aren't any threads and everything goes the wrong way, or places where it's a normal phpBB type thing but the local custom is to cram everything into four threads with 20,000 posts each, all in a line. I've even heard of this one place where people post without any usable identifier at all, but I don't think I believe it. I mean, really, now! And yet: Witness El Reg's forums, which seem to blend the *comments* - which are expressly not forums - with forums - and in fact, a list of the comment threads in which you've commented is listed as 'Your Forums'. And yea, unto you, I say, "Wait, what?" But a 'Forum', in the civilized world, refers either to an entire sites'-full ('saab forums', or 'nikon forums', or 'make-your-own-ordnance forums'), or, less commonly, to a large subcategory of said entire forum ('how do I fix this @#$@ thing', 'why canon sucks!', or 'shrapnel chat'). It expressly does not refer to individual *threads* within the forum ('The seat tilts back when I use the turn signal', 'I mortgaged my house to buy this zoom lens and now I'm single', 'question guys: silverware or wood screws? I want to know what they had for breakfast lol!') - which is what Reg seems to be meaning with 'Forums'. At least the definitions of 'posts' ('I turned left, and fell back, and rolled into the passenger seat with my mother in law, this is crazy, how can I make her like Saabs again', 'Guys it was totally worth it, check this shit out!', 'OK Im sick a robberies so next guy that comes on my propertys gonna get nailed lol! or forked, or spooned... Maybe no spoons... ok what do i do?') seem to match. So there's that. And then there's the 'CREATE A NEW FORUM' option, which immediately suggests to me that I've been granted the power to retroactively spawn an additional Roman political body - but it turns out that I'm creating a *thread*. Or a forum?! No! It's surely not a forum. But where is the *thread* being created? My mind yearns for an index to fill the ether - I feel as if I'm throwing a long roll of paper out into the mist, where nobody will find it. And if they can't find it, they can't read this. Which, now that I think about it, has its good points. Moving along, how will anyone even know this exists? I've sought a link, or FAQ, or mere snippet of information, but nothing approaching an answer has presented itself. Is the qualification for posting in a readable way that you be smart enough to figure out where to read the instructions? Or is mockery and humiliation the punishment for not being smart enough you just posted to the entire site by accident, and now have 197 replies arguing about Android and IP rights for no apparent reason? Am I pissing into the wind? Or, as my son did this evening, into the bath? "Well", I said, in response to his recent complaint about the water's alleged extreme heat, "That ought to cool it down a bit." Indeed. That doesn't answer my questions, but a reply here might. So, here's hoping I'm not just cooling the forum down a bit.
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Create a new thread / topic / forum

Murray, our lead dev, has an ideological objection to "thread" - but yes, we are changing "Create a new forum" to "Create a new thread".

We shall add signposts, guidelines and links and so on in forums.theregister.co,uk starting next week.

We will figure out how to unravel forum posts and article comments - not sure how yet.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Does the word "Topic" go down better? "Thread" reminds me of newsgroups, with everything stuffed in the same place :)

BTW sometimes when I start typing a title or post, I am typing with the text still in grey and it won't let me post. If I then click out of the box and back into it again, it blanks the text. I assume that this is because the page is loading slowly, and the JS that manages all of it was a bit slow starting? (Win XP, IE8)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Thumb Up

Nail on head there!

I also sometimes get this on XP with IE8, but not with any other browser, or on any other OS.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I get this occasionally with FF running win7 64 bit, so not o/s or browser specific imho.

Is there also any way to insert a carriage return after a full stop to make long rambling posts slightly more readable? (Oh, and after question marks as well I suppose)

Can we have little icons for smilies and stuff, and what about avatars?

just kiddin'

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I meant "topic" - NOT "thread"

Slip of the brain on my part.

2. Paul Sanders

The lead post on this thread/topic demonstrates one of the many ways that people can exercise power and control on forums - by typing so much that others get pushed way below the fold, giving the impression that this is a platform for monologists rather than debaters.

One way I have solved this in the past is to set an arbitrary post length to display, with the rest available on the click of a more... button. Nobody is told they are typing too much but nobody can push anyone else off the screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In this case, I don't think that was the poster's intention. But that is an interesting shout, Paul, especially for a future iteration. I will consult with the devs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Wait, there's some central place where all of this gets blatted out, in a list, and with he lead post shown in full?! Good lord!

And Drew, where the hell are my new line / carriage returns? The way my post is displayed makes me look like a conspiracy theorist! I worked hard to get the pacing of my writing correct, and now, with my first post, I have been pigeonholed not only as a self-aggrandizing narcicist, but an illiterate lunatic. You have destroyed my reputation, The Register, and I -shall- have satisfaction.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re:

I'm sorry David, you can't do that...

... One other poster has commented on carriage returns, or lack of. But they are working for me and for most people that I can see.

We'll fix it.

Did you write that post in a wordprocessor? And if so, which one /version / OS.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Here's a thought.

I had newlines / paragraphs disappear for me when the new look buttons went live. This was fixed. I wonder if those who still have this problem are all using some arcane OS/Browser combo and the version of the post form served to them ain't had that fix......?

2. MJI Silver badge

Carriage Returns

If it was me it is the ability to have text on new lines with no blank lines, like a "<br>" rather than the "<p>" we get now for every CR.

2. Paul Sanders

Hardly illiterate!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Hardly illiterate!

...but CONSPIRACYTHEORIST==1

3. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Didn't really destroy anything in my eyes, although It almost desroyed my eyes reading it, and I did think about replying with "Have you tried Imodium?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@BristolBachelor

It was late, after a long day troubleshooting flighty servo controller problems, and I was mostly enjoying the pleasure of weaving invective itself, rather than truly expressing such shivering anger. I enjoy writing (you may have noticed) and that's wonderful, but the danger is that I'll start saying random shit just so I can write.

Maybe that's what happened to Ron Paul.

Anyway, I was using Chrome and its 'editor', such as it is. I cut-and-pasted within the box a few times, but never out somewhere else and back.

My later response came through fine, but that was on my PlayBook - which probably qualifies as obscure. And infuriating, if you count its redlining misspelled words but only offering options 10% of the time, and not having commonly used words like 'exsanguinate' and 'perspicacious'. Actually, Chrome doesn't understand the complete draining of blood from the body - and while that, perhaps, is understandable, you would think that a RIM device -would-, if only from experience.

This topic is closed for new posts.