Feeds

back to article Record numbers of readers flock to The Register

The Register and its sister publications Reg Hardware and Channel Register climbed new heights in November 2011, bagging 46 million page impressions and 6.6 million "uniques" for the month. We now have a certificate to prove it. abc.org.uk/Certificates/17591287.pdf That represents a lot of thought, planning and hard work by a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Hooray!

So now you can charge an even larger premium for those articles which mysteriously swim against the tide of Chronological Ordering.

Gold badge

Swimming against the tide

To answer your post seriously: Well over 90 per cent of the articles that defy our reverse- chronological-drip- down are Reg Hardware reviews. Most of the rest are recruiting sergeants - watch this event - please help us with this survey - and so on. We do not charge a premium for these articles. Or charge per se, but obviously we are being paid for the things that we are promoting.

Also in late December we ran a series of articles promoting our own e-books, which we anchored to the story grid for a couple of weeks, much to our readers delight and gratitude. We might do this again - but only one at a time...

jai
Silver badge

congratulations!!

Was there a particular November event that drove the spike in readership or is it definitely year-on-year growth?

All good news either way! Congrats El Reg!!!

Gold badge

Numbers started jumping in September '11 and have stayed jumping. I'll tell you next year if it is sustained!

Anonymous Coward

@Drewc

Enough boasting about your love life.

Pint

BRAVO!

Have a pint to celebrate!

Now, get back to work. :)

Anonymous Coward

only me!

Just testing out a new denial of service technique. !-)

Stop

So you are sharing your un-anonimized logs?

congratulations, but all i saw in this story is that you are handing over your full logs, IP addresses intact to a third party.

how does one opt out of this :p

this is pretty clearly stated in the Privacy link at the bottom of every page on the site ...

Gold badge

ABC guidelines

I am not aware of anyone submitting anonymised files to ABC.

But here are the organisation's guidelines, for further reading.

is it?

I've read the privacy policy and it doesn't say that logs are shared with third parties.

Bronze badge
Windows

Well done, El. Reg.

Essential daily reading for me.

Anonymous Coward

Huge jump in US readership?

How do you factor out folks like me, working for a multinational in Europe, sometimes connecting from home in France, sometimes via corporate proxy which could be UK or US? Everyone in my company could in theory show up from one IP address :)

Still, congrats on the total.

Gold badge

We use standard tools to figure out where people come from - they claim 98-99 per cent accuracy IIRC.

Admittedly one person could and often is more than one unique. But equally a "unique" could - and often does - represent more than one person.

re: Huge jump in US readership?

Yep, that's me too. Very much in the UK, but all my internet traffic at work goes via a proxy in the US.

How I enjoy getting adverts on the BBC news site! I did get to see Google's logo blacked out yesterday, made my little day, such as it is.

Gold badge

From The BBC website

<snip>

How reliable is the technology that does this?

An independent report found that it was 99.96% accurate. However, if you are a UK licence fee payer viewing the website from within the UK but can see advertising, please report this to us.

</snip>

Silver badge
Happy

356 readers right here!

I guess that setting my new router to pull a different IP address from AT&T every night is really paying off for you folks!

Silver badge
Unhappy

Hey Mr Tally Man

Thanks, now I'll have the Banana Boat Song going round in my head all afternoon. Grrrr.

Gold badge

My runthrough of that came complete with a roomful of diners being grabbed by their prawn cocktails at the end.....

Happy

Well, being the hipster I am, I shall seek a less popular site that reposts engadget news! :)

Anonymous Coward

Now if you could just change those "hilarious" headlines that need careful studying to work out what the hell they're talking about, instead of being obvious at a glance!

Happy

Welcome, American friend!

Coffee/keyboard

weesht

yeah yeah yeah. now stop slapping your own back and say something funny, monkey boy. that's what we don't pay you for.

Thumb Down

In order to

[Next Page]

bump up your

[Next Page]

page views

[Next Page]

even further,

[Next Page]

maybe you can continue

[Next Page]

subdividing your articles

[Next Page]

into even smaller pieces ?

>-(

Gold badge

This is not a big thing on The Register or Channel Register. Reg Hardware, in common with most review sites, is an enthusiastic proponent of pagination. Sometimes too enthusiastic. I am trying to encourage them to curb this enthusiasm.

Anonymous Coward

Pagination doesn't bother me too much

I just open the "print" version for preference and come back once all the images have loaded.

Could be so much worse. I regularly read reviews on Tech Radar than span 9+ pages.

Coat

@greensun

Extra pages generate extra ad revenue. With extra revenue they will be able to hire real reporters.

(Ha ha. Just joking. Ahem... Sorry, I just love The Register and I have been telling my friend about you)

((Quick! Hand me my asbestos jacket please.))

((( I'll check tomorrow if my account still works )))

Bronze badge
Happy

Good.

In the meantime Firefox users can install AutoPager, which turns all the multi-page articles back in to one easily scrollable story.

Thumb Up

Congratulations

Keep up the excellent work.

Just wondering....

.... how techeye.net is doing?

Well done, the endless non story, click baiting, Apple speculation stories have obviously had the desired effect.

Can't see why

t's all shit. Especially the comments. And I've been reading it for 12 years so I should know.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

You're Welcome!

That's about the same time I activated my Twitter account - there is quite a bit that gets reported here that doesn't ever make it to the US media (or what passes for one, anyway).

What's it been? Since 97? And I still have my El reg pin - Thanks to John Lettice! (kiss my butt Lester! lol)

")

Gold badge
Flame

"That's about the same time I activated my Twitter account...."

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!

Bronze badge

Yeah yeah, I know :)

I use it for politics, not 'I took a piss and it burned" or "OMG! I got a new iPwn" thoughts lmao

:)

Anonymous Coward

Wisdom of crowds, my arse.

Yeah, I can tell by the decreasing quality of the commentards.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Wisdom of crowds, my arse.

Hey Mr. Misanthrope. Lighten up.

Anonymous Coward

They are enlightened compaired to commentards for other publications (knuckle-draggers). That's the problem with the internet, any muppet can have a voice - whereas in Victorian times we would put them in an Bedlam and have organised visits to bait, ahem view them.

Bring back the stocks I say

Gold badge

El Reg user forums - we started trialling this week.

User Forums are here

I guess we will be opening the floodgates soon. But right now there are no navigation links. So if you want to give it a poke, it is probably better to bookmark the link.

Silver badge
Pint

hasn't that been around for a while?

I know I've ended up there inadvertantly(sp) several times.

Re: hasn't that been around for a while?

Currently forums are repositories for comments to articles.

This is a <em>user</em> forum. Members can start up their own topics.

Devil

Hey drew

Seeing as we go way back can I finally start that topic thread about why you smell? :P

On a side though are you sure the jump isn't from employeers checking for flamatory comments about their company on here after you guys "lost" a bunch of email addresses?

Just sayin ;)

Re: Hey drew

It would be nice to think that each time we fuck up we gain more readers. Would rather not test this premise.

You are welcome to set up aforementioned thread. Have a feeling that it might not last too long though.

Thumb Up

I'm a long term fan - El Reg has been my home page for over ten years :)

Pint

Congrats El Reg!

< Well deserved!

Cool beans, just make sure you keep biting the hand, please!

Silver badge

How is that measured ?

If it is by analysis of your server logs, OK - but if by counts from doubleclick.net then you don't count me -- firefox noscript blocks that.

Gold badge

Doubleclick figures

As a tech site we have an unusually high percentage of readers using ad blockers, so no we don't use doubleclick for measuring readership.

We acknowledge all the reasons that people use ad blockers - and we don't have any plans to get into a fight over this - but let's keep in mind Ars Technica's attack on ad blockers in 2010.

FAIL

Ad-blockers

I am severely tempted to add El Reg to the ad-block list just purely for that bloody MS advert that resizes after it's finished, about 10 secs after you scrolled down to start reading the article! Is the point of the ad to remind us how horribly inconvenient and time-wasting Microsoft is?

a delay for every story + finite free time to read stories = less page impressions for El Reg.

That's all. nK

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.