Feeds

back to article SOPA from a distance: multiplying the trade threats

While punch and counter-punch continue over the legislative insanity of SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act, it seems from Australia that non-American governments like our own either don’t understand, or have chosen to hold their silence, about the threat the bill poses to Web-based businesses outside the US. Although the bill’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Proof positive

All this proves is what any wise man could have told you - never register a US controlled TLD and never have it hosted in the US.

Silver badge

THE GREAT PROTECTIONIST CENSOR

does anyone believe that the US legislators will do the right thing and not abuse the use of this SOPA legislation?

Does anyone think that they will not use it to detrimental effect against other countries?

Does anyone think that they could trust the US over this?

They have a track record of deceit and dishonesty so don't be fooled.

Don't be surprised if you get a letter through your door with the threat of prosecution for something that is NOT illegal in your own country.

And don't be surprised if your own country refuses to protect you.

Anonymous Coward

true

This is just what they do in countries that have a history of human rights abuses.

Anonymous Coward

ah Mr Smith

"Your website has a link that links to a website that links to another website that has a link that may be dubious."

"We are not quite sure if it is illegal but as there has been a complaint we are shutting you down."

But I haven't done anything wrong, you'll ruin my business!

"Not our problem, and just so you know we are preparing extradition papers so that we can have a little chat with you."

I'll complain about this and get representation.

"Who do you think will listen to you? And your country will do as it is told, even if you have not done anything illegal in your country we have decided it IS illegal here, see you next week!"

Anonymous Coward

Free Trade Agreement?

"We" signed it, remember? Or rather that slimy little toad Howard signed it.

I seem to recall it had some clauses that lets US law override ours in these kinds of cases, correct?

I think the Agreement is better termed the 'US is FREE to TRADE in YOUR Country, YOU are NOT free to trade in OURS Agreement.'

Anonymous - the Merkins know where I live.

g e
Silver badge
Stop

Or...

Erect a digital ringfence around the USA. No matter how important the USA likes to think it is to the Rest of the World, it isn't.

Especially when Rest of the World isn't sharing their money with it's digital economy. Maybe even erect a non-US-controlled (non*anyone* controlled) decentralised DNS system, to boot (no I don't have any architectural suggestions as to how that might work, currently).

The USA, who're they? Ohhh I remember now, are they still going?

Anonymous Coward

American Government = World Police

We all should of seen this coming from a mile away. I went and got the torrent client Tixati. With Tixati I can share what I want and no one can stop me or force me to take it down. The added bonus of Tixati is that I can chat and search as well.

Trollface

SOPA = Racket licensing

Excellent analysis. What's unbelievable is how little impact and comment a reasonable article such as this one gets in comparison with the veiled pro-SOPA defenses of Orlowsky and Asay -- where has El Reg irreverence gone? What's next, a Condé Nast acquisition (like the one who befell on the Wired of yore)?

Anonymous Coward

Paying off an accuser merely to keep operating

Article says that SOPA would create a situation where companies might be:

"paying off an accuser merely to keep operating"

This has already been going on for years with software patents (Microsoft, Apple)

SOPA (or Son of SOPA) will take us even farther down that road.

Flame

Correct!

"Content owners in Australia – even those paid off by aligned with SOPA’s supporters – need to start bombarding the attorney-general and foreign minister, demanding that at the very least they put legitimate Australian concerns and interests to the Americans".

Indeed, absolutely correct. But Oz is the US's No-1 lackey and will fall into line with US policy irrespective of what the Oz public thinks. Remember WikiLeaks--foreign affairs departments run the world, not elected governments!

BTW, I wrote the post below [http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1291838] on another El Reg article before I read this one:

"Only a temporary reprieve 'til they regroup.

The Copyright Industry mob aren't used to knock-backs. Don't kid yourselves, this ain't success--just a temporary delay. Next round, the Bill's wording will be watertight.

In the meantime, in all countries the US calls allies, the drafting of almost identical yet-unseen laws* continues unabated, this kerfuffle will only ensure that these yet-unseen bills/acts will also be watertight.

[* When the US commanded other countries to implement their versions of the DMCA they said 'yes Lord' and acted immediately.]

**Don't say you haven't been warned.**

The only way to head off (partially ameliorate the effects of) version 2 of SOPA/PIPA is to demand reasonable and fair copyright reform internationally--reform where creators and users both have rights under copyright law. (No, this doesn't mean condoning piracy.)"

This topic is closed for new posts.