Feeds

back to article Japanese cops cuff six smut-scam ransomware suspects

Japanese police have arrested six suspected cyber-crooks over a one-click billing fraud scam that allegedly targeted sweaty smut surfers. The Kyoto-based gang allegedly used malware to run a billing fraud against victims, netting them JPY12,000,000 (about $148,800 or £96,000) in the process. The suspected cyber-criminals are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Stop

"Using the new technology such as reputation and cloud can definitely help remedy this situation. But is there any real fundamental solution to stop this endless game of cat and mouse?

We think one possible solution is to stop producing one-clickware."

Er, no. The ONLY solution that will ever work is to stop using browsers that allow you to execute programs via one click on a rogue website - it simply should not be possible to do so without specifically saying "I want to break my computer". Thus ends "oneclickware" or even "fiftyclickware".

The greatest flaw with antivirus has ALWAYS been it's whitelist/blacklist nature. It has no way to detect a million and one variations of the same code, and the bits that actually MATTER (i.e. it can create a window that can't be closed, register itself on startup etc.) are the things that are supposed to be under the control of the operating system itself. If the OS didn't allow it, they wouldn't be able to do it, no matter how "well disguised" the malware was or whether the AV had previously seen it elsewhere enough to merit it being listed in their weekly/monthly updates.

Stop running programs that allow you to do this, stop saying Yes to everything, stop using OS's and configurations that make it possible for ordinary users to mess up the entire system instead of just a single user account.

Big Brother

Should I use my walled-garden fondleslab, then?

"Stop running programs that allow you to do this, stop saying Yes to everything, stop using OS's and configurations that make it possible for ordinary users to mess up the entire system instead of just a single user account."

Every single desktop OS has a way to let ordinary users mess up the entire system, or ordinary users couldn't install them on an ordinary desktop PC.

So I should surf for my smut on a walled-garden smartphone instead? How about on a closed, GPL-hating fondleslab? Or a proprietary internet-enabled TV set? Game console?

Happy

Photo

Thumbs up if you clicked on the article purely due to the photo and regardless of what the headline was!

Anonymous Coward

Send them to a Siberian prison for 20 years

That should make an impression on them.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

You're on the right track

But my preferred method would be to publicly hang them *and* their immediate families, if it can be shown that the family members were aware of the scam and were benefiting from it. When these scamming scum realise that it's not only themselves but their loved ones as well that will swing from the gibbet for their crimes, they'll have a strong enough disincentive not to do it!

Ch-Click...HOCK! HOOOOORRRRAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Silver badge
Coat

anyone else misread this as

Kyoto-based gang bang?

Mine is (apparently) the dirty mac.

Anonymous Coward

"Rik Ferguson, a security consultant at Trend Micro, told El Reg: "It's not credit card fraud as such, more akin to billing fraud or ransomware. The website visitors are fooled into installing an executable on their system. This then demands payment for the service, the window cannot be closed or moved and continues after a reboot.""

I don't think so. I think that it is called extortion, pure and simple, and there already is a law which covers it.

This topic is closed for new posts.