back to article Asda peddles phones for £12.50

Supermarket mogul Asda is selling budget blowers for the PAYG market, with shoppers able to pick up handsets from as low as £12.50. Up for offer is the T-Mobile Zest 2, which features a 0.3Mp (VGA) camera, MP3 player, radio, Bluetooth and a battery life of five hours. For the same price, there's the Nokia 1616. T-Mobile Zest 2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Headmaster

News?

Tesco are selling the Samsung E1080 for £9.97.

Phones surely can't come much cheaper than this?

Bronze badge

unlocked

This is what I was thinking, this looks like an Asda advert rather than a news story, especially when you consider that the Samsung phone is unlocked and comes with a choice of SIM.

Anonymous Coward

Looks like my wifes phone,

Only its not as big.

Anonymous Coward

Since it's bonus day in the city!

Last week I made 800,000 quid on the Tesco - Mazuma mobile arbitrage.

Hire unemployed people to buy phones for 10 quid from Tesco, keep the sim card, and then sell the phone straight to Mazuma for 150!

And it helps recycling too!

Time to scoot down in my Porsche for some champers in Balls Brothers, you peasants.

:-)

h3
Bronze badge

The Nokia 1616 ix sim free from what I can tell.

(Think e2save (Worst customer service in the world - don't use a Halifax card to order from them) Nokia 100 at £4.95 + £10 topup (Will come unlocked as well) is a better voice phone.

Anonymous Coward

Similar offers already available

When I visit the UK I get whatever is on offer from Carphonewarehouse, last time it was a Samsung E2120 unlocked for 15GBP including 10GBP of calls from whichever provider you chose.

As the ASDA offer is locked to a particular provider and no cheaper than what you can get elsewhere I don't see it as being particularly newsworthy.

Silver badge
WTF?

Someone at El Reg received a bung to print an advert for Asda?

Plenty of other places doing cheap phones - one well know chain doing a phone for £2.95 (plus a £10 top-up)

Anonymous Coward

1p Brand new Nokia 1800

I bought a brand new Nokia 1800 on Orange last summer for 1p. Yes 1p.

Ok you had to buy £10 credit with it, but that £10 airtime.

That was from mobiles.co.uk - Carphone Warehouse in disguise,

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums