Feeds

back to article HP hawks huge 132in 'tablet'

HP unveiled a behemoth this week, catering for the BFGs of the world with a 132in multi-touch display. The HP VantagePoint is made up of six 47in, 1366 x 768 screens linked together and covered in tough Gorilla Glass. The prodigious panel packs a combined resolution of 4098 x 1536 and supports 32 simultaneous touch-points. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Go

Congratulations Microsoft !

I see you have entered the tablet market at last with Windows 8 compact edition.

Silver badge

"The VantagePoint runs on Windows 7, with apps coded through JavaScript, C++, C# and Microsoft Presentation Framework." from the article.

Although the second clause confuses me slightly - if it runs Windows 7 then surely it'll run practically anything? "apps"? wat?

Silver badge

I assumed they meant Windows Phone 7. Although a freak device like that could easily be running any weird combination of software.

Silver badge

It's an x86 workstation; unlikely to be WinPho.

Thumb Up

yes please

Can i get a smaller one, say A0, that can pivot to horizontal?

I've been waiting 15 years for one of these.

Anonymous Coward

Smart?

http://smarttech.com/

Flip the LCD/Plasma on its side, and use a smart panel.

Pint

Get in line...

I've been waiting 25 years ;-0

But you can have my place in the queue for a pint.

Funny you should say that... I had a rotating monitor in my office, that went from vertical to horizontal, when I was a graduate student 15 years ago. It was attached to a Mac but I forget if it was Apple kit or third-party. CRT of course, so pretty heavy to rotate. Plenty of rotating monitors exist today, not sure if they'd count as A0 though.

Silver badge
Joke

Alternative units

"The prodigious panel packs a combined resolution of 4098 x 1536 and supports 32 simultaneous touch-points"

or

4 octopuses

Headmaster

Shirley you meant...

.... octopi?

Silver badge
Headmaster

I demand you return your icon

Octopus has a greek root, not a latin one, so Octopuses is right.

YP
Headmaster

Actually octopuses is the plural from the English, the Greek plural is octopodes

@K. Adams

No

Silver badge
Headmaster

I will admit

I wasn't sure, I have heard octopi bandied about.... So, I checked the OED first ;-)

Happy

Octopi

that's what we're having for tea.

(Serves 8)

Anonymous Coward

octopi serves 8?

dont you mean serves 3.14....

Go

New Standard?

Sooo, touch screens are to be measured in Octopuses as well as pixels and area?

Silver badge
Happy

@AC:01:46 GMT

I reckon a pi will serve 3.14159265...

Where as an octopi will serve 25.13274122....

Sorry for the pedantry

Standards

"Sooo, touch screens are to be measured in Octopuses as well as pixels and area?"

Surely it's not the number of octopuses that matter so much as the number of suckers?

Gold badge
Coat

Specifically the number of suckers with 80 grand to blow on a wall of touchscreens......

Joke

Can you play.....

Angry birds on it?

Coat

Or worse still

Can it play Crysis?

About that coat...

Nope

but if someone sets the desktop wallpaper to a Windows sky blue, then actual birds may splatter themselves against the screen.

It will anyway...

BSOD included – no extra charge. Perfect if you hate starlings.

Facepalm

wot no webOS?

oh well...

I'm sold

Perfect for reading eBooks on the tube.

Coat

32-point simultaneous...

That's a lot of fondling.

I'll get my coat, and some car keys from that bowl.

Anonymous Coward

How long until Simon gets one?

And he and the PFY make it run a real OS?

Silver badge

"Flipchart" software

It would be great to have some sort of distributed flipchart software for it. So you can have several people writing on it, in different locations.

Drop me a line and I'll send the salesman around

We already have that. Multiple interconnected touch screens, backdrop according to choice, free text and scribble.

It's actually used for damage control on ships, but meets your requirements.

Gold badge

What I want to know is, what's the battery life like...

Why am I thinking..

Minority Report?

Linux

Can't see many takers for this...

... so I shall wait until it hits £99 like the last HP tablet.

Now, I just need someone to port ICS...

Silver badge

Not sure about ICS

I have gingerbread on my samsung but touchpad webos is far better for a tablet format. Just as a desktop interface doesn't work on a phone, so a phone interface feels a bit "limited" next to a "designed for tablets" UI.

WebOS is very elegant.

Just need ssh...

now...

Cover all my living room walls with that!

Silver badge

Pah...

$125,000? I think I'll wait until they abandon the project and then pick up the old stock for 25% list price.

Silver badge
Facepalm

RE: Pah...

Actually, it is likely these will be popping up in boardrooms all over Europe and the US. I have worked at several companies where awful amounts of cash were "invested" in audio/video systems for boardrooms that might get used once a year. Meanwhile, of course, cuts in the interest of "efficiency" were being made for the frontliners at the same time as the as the under-used boardroom gear was being installed. Unfortunately, compared to some of the boardroom setups I've seen, $125k is peanuts. Apparently it makes all those redundancy presentations look so much better than an ordinary projector.

WTF?

Lol

I remember them touting all those possible uses for webOS? Oh well, that didn't last long... #fail

Coat

Z800 workstation?

And here I thought Zilog never pushed the Z800 into production...

This topic is closed for new posts.