back to article Top techs preview CES 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...

CES isn't the only game in Las Vegas this week. For the true down-and-dirty technophile, the real action is at the International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE) – and The Reg got a sneek peek at the geek freak that commences while CES concludes. The ICCE, under the umbrella of the Institute of Electrical and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lord help us

If a washing machine's only USP is its ability to email/sms when it is done.

Frankly some of that list have to be marked as either

The totally useless

or

The totally obvious

Where are the developments in WiFi that stop channel collisions? Why aren't they doing frequency hopping? etc etc.

When every home in a 300m radius has their own WiFi setup and most of them on the same channel using it at peak times is a like going back to 28.8kbaud modem days.

Getting that sorted rather then messing around with range which will only make things worse would be a far better USP that that load of tosh.

2. ScottAS2

We should research why people still make up titles now they're optional

"algorithmic elimination of chromatic aberration in smartphone cameras that are saddled with cheap-ass plastic smartphone lenses"

Please, please, please let that be the actual title of the research proposal.

3. organoman

Flying Car

Conspicuously absent again I see.

4. Truffle

Predictions?

Jet Packs, Hover Boards, Skyways, and robot butlers of course! (for the consumer, not just proof of concepts)

5. jonathan1
    Alert

Devices that text/email you/others if your about to have a heart attack...

Whilst in principle I can see the benefiits, it might end up like the death clock scene from the IT Crowd.

*Text tone* "You've got five minutes before you have a heart attack and drop dead. Have a nice day"

1. GeorgeTuk

Should say enjoy the rest of your day! But funny stuff...it will come eventually, the Daily Mail will have an article on it somewhere.

Or the BBC, they love a good "one day" science story.

2. Tim Wolfe-Barry
      WTF?

On my network, that will arrive ~55 minutes after the actual event, then...

6. deshepherd

"Jet Packs, Hover Boards, Skyways, and robot butlers of course! (for the consumer, not just proof of concepts)"

But this conference was only predicting out to CES 2018 ... as anyone from the "Tommow's World" generation knows the items mentioned above will all be available in "about 10 yeas time"

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Er...

"•upgradeable televisions that allow you to replace, for example, the set's connectivity hardware without having to buy an entirely new set, display and all"

I'm sure I've got one of those, it's called a PC with a TV attached to it...

8. Tony.
    Holmes

Erm...

Dual-perspective 3D TVs - Isn't this a normal 3D TV with glasses that had 2 left or 2 right lenses, you can then sit anywhere?

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Dearie me

"long-distance (320m) 24Mbps Bluetooth 3.0 streaming video"

It's known as Wi-Fi with Bluetooth functioning as the D-channel to set up and manage the connection as this is missing from the original specification.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"we suggest that you print out this list?"

Print out ? Paper ? How very retro - I'm sure the cool kids of 2018 will love seeing grandad walking around with his "bit of paper and a pen."

11. Mikel
    Devil

Didn't read the article

Is there a prediction that every year somebody will bring a Windows Tablet that goes nowhere? Because that looks like a no-brainer.

12. Gazareth

Heart attack text

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like