back to article Dell dithers over fresh fondleslabs

CES 2012 Week Dell has revealed intentions to corner the consumer fondleslab market by the end 2012, promising to turn up to the soirée this time with enough party-poppers for everyone. According to chief commercial officer Steve Felice - who spoke of Dell's tablet ambitions in an interview with Reuters - the company was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows I'll wager

If only to get back some of that MS money Dell is presumably missing out on. Business as usual for Dell me thinks
  2. Bill B

I know i'm being picky but ..

I think I'll wait until Windows 8 comes out before I compliment MS on anything. But it's nice of Dell to consider complementary hardware.
  3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Doomed to fail

just because it is Dell. Some people have very long memories. Besides, didn't HP Say this same thing as last years CES?
  4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Streak

I still don't quite understand the decision to withdraw from the Streak - unless it was a decision to withdraw from Android and go Windows 8 later. The Streak is/was a great device, badly let down by two problems: launching on an old version of Android to general derision and an almost total lack of marketing of it by either Dell or the networks. I can understand that some people just don't want a 5" form-factor phone, or a 7" form-factor tablet, but for those that do (and I'm one!) it's just a lovely piece of kit. I'm just glad that there are other manufacturers out there producing 5" android phones for when my Streak eventually goes tits up.
  5. Mikel
    Devil

Go with something untried

Android tabs are taking up 40 percent market share. Much better for Dell to take up a solution that won't be ready for half a year at least, is in it's first revision, is unproven and likely buggy and not feature-complete. Ideally it should have absolutely zero presence and awareness in the market, and no affinity with mobile phones so people can avoid that messy phone - tablet convergence. And of course it should avoid extant rich app ecosystems. That's going to solve their tablet problem, of course.
    1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge
      But they get paid $2 for the "designed for Windows8" sticker, $1 for the "Intel inside", $1 for bundling each of Norton, Mcaffee, Crap-o-backup and Office-nearly-works-once demo mode. In fact actually building a computer into the case is probably not really worth it from a business point of view.
  6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Dell Latitude ST is their current Windows-running tablet product.

I've pretty much decided to go ahead and buy one of those, right away, although I'm worried about using Windows 7 with "only" 2 gigabytes of memory. 64-bit Windows 7 ran pretty badly in that much RAM, when one of my SODIMMs blew out, but apparently 64-bit is a lot "heavier" than the 32-bit edition. When is Windows 8 out anyway? Not yet...
    1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Which windows8?

So far there are three OSes for PCs tablets and phones - all called Windows8

It's not clear how compatible they will be with each other or with existing Windows code so most statements about supporting it at the moment are marketing speak

Windows8 for PCs is already out - just another gui rearrange.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like