back to article Facebook obsessives overlook enterprise riches

It's not that enterprise software is boring. But let's face it: if you had the choice to tell your mom that your company makes it easy for 800 million people to talk to each other, or that your business makes it easier for companies like Chevron to do business more productively, the former is going to sound a heck of a lot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 15

This was done by a cute little program on the PC and a the standard HTML3 browser we created of the Z5 (and other phones). In those days a little bit of a security breech but the idea was sound. Once we added secure browsing the security hole was somewhat smaller.

2. Mark 65

Parental thoughts

"if you had the choice to tell your mom that your company makes it easy for 800 million people to talk to each other, or that your business makes it easier for companies like Chevron to do business more productively, the former is going to sound a heck of a lot cooler."

Yet the latter would sound to them as if I was doing something productive and worthwhile rather than just enabling phone-obsessed street urchins to tell all of their "friends" that they are "like on the way home on the bus, and like there's so much traffic and then like she said that he said that she said" etc.

As someone once said, some of the smartest minds of our time are trying to work out the perfect advertising algorithm (or thereabouts).

3. Melanie Winiger
    Thumb Up

Enterprise Software

Good article.

Think small.

If I did it all again, I'd have taken the risk and joined a small IT setup isof. what turned out to be (after mergers, bankruptcies and takeovers) one of the largest Enterprise organisations in the world - where I now spend my time recording my time in 5 different systems neither of which talk to each other...

4. Gil Grissum
    Pint So is this where all the jobs are? Enterprise IT firms? Or is did the big profits and growth come after they whittled their staff down and overworked the remaining staffers into producing products and services? Why is no one hiring while all this Enterprise IT Growth is happening?
This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like