Feeds

back to article Panasonic pitches portable Skype screen

CES 2012 Week Panasonic showed off a handheld Skype tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) last night. Panasonic Skype Communications Device It only exists as a prototype, and you might think that folks' smartphones and tablets will do the job of video calling equally well, but Panasonic thinks punters will want a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Better yet...

Give it a charger/stand, make it touch screen (I assume it will be already) and when not doing Skype it can be a clock / family calendar device, photo album etc. Want to make a call? Just pick it up and it will automatically pop up a menu of actions (when it is removed from the charger) including an option to voice or video call. Incoming call? Just pick it up to answer, or press the on-screen button to answer with it still in the charger.

JDX
Gold badge

So it's a cheap tablet with a $2 plastic stand glued on? Or did I miss something? Maybe the idea is it's super-cheap since it can be very low-power and not need a fancy screen?

But a laptop can do all that they mention, surely?

IT Angle

@'But a laptop can do all that they mention, surely?'

Yes, but do grandparents really want to buy a whole laptop to skype the grandkids occaionally?

Well, yes, they are...

likely to already have a laptop - otherwise what would be the point of having an Internet connection?

It doesn't make sense to pay for Internet connectivity just for the occasional Skype call.

Silver badge

Time to dump their shares

So a major Japanese consumer electronics group's main announcement is a cheap bit of obvious that a $75 tablet can already do and that can be cloned for $30 by any chinese maker.

A bit like having Mercedes' announcing at the motor show a sleeve on your sun visor to hold CDs.

Anonymous Coward

Yeahbut this is CES not CeBIT

Looks like something...

from the Amstrad stable.

Amstrad...

Personally I think Amstrad wouldn't have lowered themselves to this

This topic is closed for new posts.