back to article Urban Wi-Fi is back... in Westminster and Kensington

O2 will be providing blanket Wi-Fi coverage on behalf of Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, installed into street furniture and providing free connectivity to residents and visitors. How comprehensive the coverage will be remains to be seen; deployment will start this month and there's no schedule for blanket coverage which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bill Fresher

Home wi-fi

As a Westminster resident does this mean I will be able to cancel my O2 home broadband and use the free one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

also resident in Westminster

getting any WiFi channel working at a decent bitrate during the evening is getting harder.

Must be lots of people going to bed early with their iPads.

2. Mark Allen

Messy....

It is bad enough finding free channels for a WiFi setup as it is. If a council starts flooding an area it will be a massive headache. It is difficult where I live as there is a huge office block which is sitting on all three of the main channels (1, 6 and 11!!) I expect O2 will be just as greedy with their network.

As to "replacing home broadband" - I really doubt there will be the bandwidth once all the freeloaders jump on board. And just think of the fun security issues of sharing your network with all kinds of random people....

3. dephormation.org.uk
    Big Brother

Sounds great, until...

Until you discover that Telefonica/O2 are Phorm partners.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds great, until...

So they're still around? What's the latest?

Shame Chris Williams has left, btw.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like