O2 will be providing blanket Wi-Fi coverage on behalf of Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, installed into street furniture and providing free connectivity to residents and visitors. How comprehensive the coverage will be remains to be seen; deployment will start this month and there's no schedule for blanket coverage which is …
As a Westminster resident does this mean I will be able to cancel my O2 home broadband and use the free one?
also resident in Westminster
getting any WiFi channel working at a decent bitrate during the evening is getting harder.
Must be lots of people going to bed early with their iPads.
It is bad enough finding free channels for a WiFi setup as it is. If a council starts flooding an area it will be a massive headache. It is difficult where I live as there is a huge office block which is sitting on all three of the main channels (1, 6 and 11!!) I expect O2 will be just as greedy with their network.
As to "replacing home broadband" - I really doubt there will be the bandwidth once all the freeloaders jump on board. And just think of the fun security issues of sharing your network with all kinds of random people....
Sounds great, until...
Until you discover that Telefonica/O2 are Phorm partners.
Re: Sounds great, until...
So they're still around? What's the latest?
Shame Chris Williams has left, btw.
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Review Best budget Android smartphone there is? Must be the Moto G
- NSFW Confessions of a porn site boss: How the net porn industry flopped
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- OHM MY GOD! Move over graphene, here comes '100% PERFECT' stanene