West Australian mining and resource companies, cloud service providers, and government agencies are in the sights of ambitious data centre operator NextDC which has received the green light for its Perth data centre operation. The 10,500 square meter P1 data centre will provide 3,000 square meters of high density technical space …
Watch connectivity to rest of world
I know of people who have moved away from a data centre in Perth, not because of the operators, but because Internet connectivity from Perth to east coast Australia and the rest of the world is woeful.
Things may improve when the Australia-Singapore cable is completed in 2013 (http://itechreport.com.au/2011/05/11/new-high-speed-cable-to-connect-perth-to-singapore/) but in the meantime, unless you're only servicing WA, I wouldn't advise using a data centre in Perth.
I read the headline and thought I might get a job in the Gateway to the Highlands.
But it turns out to be a bloody long commute from the Central Belt.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know