back to article Who will be David to EMC's external disk Goliath?

For seven years EMC and NetApp have increasingly dominated the external storage industry. Can they stay at the top? Charts produced by Stifel Nicolaus analyst Aaron Rakers using his own and IDC numbers and company data show EMC and NetApp as growing at the expense of other mainstream suppliers, including Dell, HP, Hitachi Data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kebabbert

Nexenta

Shows excellent growth, they grow over 100% each year, and soon to become a major competitor.

Big dinosaurs never look out for smaller fast moving animals, and loose.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Defeat from the jaws of victory

It is such a shame that Sun (now Oracle) messed up their "open storage" line so badly.

They had all of the technology to build it (stable OS, fabulous features of ZFS, established hardware disk trays/servers), but the resulting management of the system it utter pants, so fragile that doing ANYTHING to it is likely to provoke an outage. In the (almost) 3 years we have had ours, the pathetic lack of progress in fixing basic problems is depressing.

We still hope that new comers will deliver something that suits our usage/cost point - lots & lots of big SATA disks, checksum-protected data, snapshots & CIFS/NFS working as one and without usurious license terms. Sun's system promised it all, but failed to deliver in all of the important details.

3. joejones

But how long can it last

I am still baffled by the continued success of EMC. I don't think their products have any clear advantage over their competitors and their tech support is the worst in the business of the major storage firms (I have used them all, and I have yet to have a satisfactory, let alone good support experience with EMC).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@But how long can it last

I can believe it, but then again, have you tried Oracle's support to gauge its suckyness?

1. joejones

No, but I bet they would at least apologize for taking 10 days to replace a disk at a production data center (with very expensive production support costs).

But I can only imagine what Oracle has done to destroy Sun/STK. STK support was pretty fantastic. When Oracle purchased them they started calling immediately about renewing our support contract in a very threatening manner, and we got so turned off we just skipped it an looking to buying a quantum library. BTW, I have only had excellent support experiences with Quantum. I am sure they will get snatched up by EMC or Oracle and be ruined as well...

4. Moondevil
    Thumb Down

errrm, surely the David is NetApp?

Honestly, Posting an article about two storage leaders, and postulating about who will be the successor to the leader without thinking "hmmm, maybe it's the 2nd place guy?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like