back to article Canon focuses on compact snapper spruce-up

CES 2012 Week Canon has snapped into action at CES, introducing the long-awaited next-gen addition to its highly-popular G series of premium compact cameras. Canon G1 X The Canon PowerShot G1 X sits alongside its previous top dog, the PowerShot G12, displacing it at the head of the food chain as the company's best point- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Holmes

Lens scratches?

I wonder if they're still using the same lens cover design, which has, in certain casss, been scratching lenses since back with the G9 and has persisted through to the G12? [Google it, if you don't believe me]

Don't get me wrong. The G-series are fantastic cameras [I've got a G10 myself ] but, whilst this problem continues and Canon refuse to acknowledge it, or replace affected cameras, I won't be in any hurry to upgrade.

Silver badge

It comes with a standard clip-on lens cap, the lens being too big for a built-in automatic lens cover.

Silver badge

Problems problems

Yet again we see the chief issue with this type of camera from Canon, and that is that they want to charge you £700-800 for this vs £600 for a EOS 600D + 18-55 IS II from Pixmania i.e. the street prices will likely be the same. I own a G9 and this looks bigger and heavier i.e. not pocketable, and therefore I'm wondering who'll buy it at that price? I think pro/semi-pro DSLR owners want an everywhere side-kick but I don't think this will fit the bill over the m4/3 crowd or a S100.

Anonymous Coward

rocks up with a 1.5in, 14.3Mp Cmos sensor ?

It is certainly not a 1.5in sensor, that would almost be the size of a full frame sensor. It is 18.7 x 14mm which has a diagonal of 0.92in.

Anonymous Coward

It is a 1.5" sensor

1.5" is not the diagonal of the sensor itself, but a legacy measure of the diameter of a TV camera tube that would use this sensor which had to be about 1.5 times larger than the sensor diameter. See this for more info:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2002/10/7/sensorsizes

Yes, it's a crap and meaningless way to measure the sizes of sensors, but this still how they are measured in many cases especially compact cameras (1/1.6", 2/3"etc), and more famously for 4:3" cameras.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums