back to article BEAST SSL fix in supersized Patch Tuesday

Microsoft plans to start 2012 with a surprisingly large Patch Tuesday that covers seven security bulletins which collectively address eight separate vulnerabilities. Previous January releases have normally featured only one or two bulletins. The solitary critical bulletin in the batch fixes a remote code execution issue in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other OSes

Could we have articles about the patches for all the other OSes as well? I'm pretty sure they all get fixed too.

1. kain preacher

They do about Mac OS. I've never seen them for Ubuntu which I get updates for once a month.

2. revdjenk
      Facepalm

The big deal...

MS has to make a big deal of their Patch Tuesday. They have to show they are doing something ...

The other OS' just do them. For example, my Linux gets patched when it needs too, not waiting on some scheduled, particular day. I think that is another reason Linux is more secure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err...

It's nothing to do with showing that they're doing something, MS Patches once a month, because that's when their customers want them to. Personally given a choice, I'd go for that too, I find the Linux method of just sending out patches with little or no notice, rather annoying.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

I find it funny

I find it funny that if somebody announces a security issue in a product that has no patch that they get deemed evil in alot of cases; Yet Vendors do it all the time by announcing an issue without a fix. For all effect these patch-day announcments are for all intence purposes a sort of sell-by date for zero-day expliots, I say sell-by and not use-by as the difference in these cases is somewhat perternant. Still handy for those who have to plan larger scale patching and poyernyualy some nice overtime at the right time of year for some as well.

3. richard 7

Call me naieve...

But I'm bored of this now. Maybe we could you know, not shag up the OS in the first place? Win 7 is getting as labourious to update as Vista is and its been around a lot less time.

Time to reinstall from scrath : 10 mins

Time to find and install all drivers assuming there are any and its not a DSGi brand: 5 mins

Time to install all the tweaks, apps and utils I use: 5 mins

Time to install updates : well over two hours if its not had SP1 slipstreamed in

For the first time customers are starting to complain about and disable updates too :(

I realise this is like asking for the moon on a stick but between FF, Java, Flash and Windows itself the constant updates are driving me insane.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like