back to article Console accessories

With last year's release of Xbox 360 Kinect and PlayStation Move, traditional console add-ons have been pushed out of the limelight. However when searching for the ideal Crimbo presents, the customary line-up of videogame hardware is always a laudable choice. Especially when shopping for yourself. Here's five options to spice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gaems G155

Does it have an LED screen? How about the loudspeakers?

1. Aaron Em

Yes, the loudspeakers

have LED drivers.

(The name of the thing is actually spelled "Gaems"? Good Lord. I know I talk a lot about Americans too ignorant to be fluent even in their own language, but maybe you lot over there are ahead of us in that, as in so many other things.)

2. jai

that looks awesome! and I was just wondering how feasible it would be to sneak the ps3 into the car so when I open my xmas present on sunday and it's a ps3 game, i'd be able to get a few hours playing in. but sadly, not sure the girlfriend's parents would appreciate my taking over the telly. THIS however would be the perfect solution. The _almost_ perfect solution, actually, as would still have to find away to avoid the girlfriend's wrath when she discovers I've disappeared from the annual xmas day family marathon board game event and am plugged in to Uncharted3 in the front room instead :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yeah!

I would take it in the car with me with the kids in the back. And not to mention the business trips! But I am sick of bad quality of tv's or loudspeakers so I would really want a premium product!

2. Marty
        Coat

some people need to wake up and smell the coffee...

you know, I can really understand the reasoning behind having a kit to make your xbox a portable device... I honestly can.....

BUT....

To have it portable so you can sneak off into another room while visiting the in-laws is ridiculous and is indicative of what's wrong with this country. If you cant put a damn game down and pay your partner and her family some quality time on Christmas day then that is so sad. Even if you dont actually do it, feeling like you want to is just as bad....

We know its not the best of fun spending the day with the in-laws, but to be so ignorant to want to hide away for a few hours to play a game by yourself is pathetic. Playing family games on the wii I can understand, but solitary games is a big no no...

I can fully expect to get flamed by the hardcore gamers for my comments, but I dont care. get yourself a life in the real world....

1. Bill Neal
          WTF?

the real world

Since my in-laws' idea of quality time is simply staring at the holiday programs on cable, and not speaking, they were happy to let me play PS3 in the guest room the vast majority of the time my wife & I were there. (it was closer to the wireless router there too) It is difficult to spend quality time with parents who don't live in the real world.

2. Aaron Em

Logitech G930

For 150 quid it damn well better be an amazing pair of headphones!

1. Madeye
      FAIL

Console?!?!

I have a pair of Logitech G930s and, yes, they are worth the money (though I got mine refurb at around £90) - however, I am pretty sure that they aren't PS3/Xbox but PC only (inc Linux) ... I'd love to be proved wrong on this, though, as I do still wake the kids playing Dark Souls loudly at antisocial hours

2. Lyle Dietz
      Thumb Up

More than amazing.

These things are crazy. I play BF3, and explosions going off nearby make the headphones shake, giving your ears a bit of a tickle.

The best part is the noise isolation. While playing games or music at a reasonable volume you can't hear someone next to you shouting, and when playing at a head massaging volume, no-one can hear what you're listening to until you take them off your ears.

Basically, these are just wireless G35s with a bit more oomph. Definitely recommend.

3. measmyself
    Alert

whoah

Dont know about you guys but I have a price of £20-£30 per person, not £100 that's ridiculous.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh? Now?

You idiots! Our wives bought our presents weeks ago and you post this today? What we need is presents 'for her', ideally ones that can be purchased in the next 48 hours.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The SlouchPod actually looks quite tempting, especially for 100 quid, but can only find it in pink/purple.

6. Jay 2
    Coffee/keyboard

So true!

"or piss off a spouse as harrowing Skyrim noises overpower their Hollyoaks omnibus".

Though to be honest I get significantly less grief for Skyrim than Battelefield 3 or GT5!

7. Powelly
    Alert

" even National Express coaches have wall-sockets now, so there's nothing holding you back from hardcore gaming on the move"

Not sure what they're rated to though. You may well find that plugging a console and screen into the sockets on trains or buses would result in nothing more than a loud fizzling noise as the sockets burn out, followed by a good hiding from fellow passengers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A 3-pin socket outlet is always rated to 13 amps, that's a standard so you are very unlikely to fry the socket itself. An Xbox 360 runs at about 170W on heavy load which is ~0.75 amps. Even the smallest fuse isn't going to be troubled by that.

8. Ginger bloke

Logitech headphones

Nice headphones but...... They are not compatible with ANY consoles so a pretty stupid addition to this Document. I nearly ordered based on this advice and would have been pretty annoyed.

9. jungle_jim

Pretty sure the 3Pin sockets on the A380's aren't rated at 13A

10. Jules 1
    Thumb Down

Fools and their money.

That Gaems G155 case, whilst nice, is ludicrously overpriced. A 15" LCD TV can be bought for around £70 retail, so you can be assured they only cost £30-40 per unit in bulk. Beyond the LCD all I see is an injection moulded plastic case and some nylon webbing/straps - probably £5 in materials, if that.

Sure you have to factor in the design/advertising budget and production costs (mold tooling, shipping from china etc) but even considering that a reasonable price point would be £80 - £120. There is no way I'd pay more than that for it.

11. joshimitsu
    Meh

Lugging around a computer system in a case?

That's very 80's.

Nowt wrong with a gaming laptop / tablet for gaming on the go when a handheld / smartphone isn't enough

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like