back to article Laptop bags: netbooks and tablets

Fed up of lugging your laptop around in a tatty old backpack? Fancy something a little more stylish? Feel your other half ought to carry a pack that's more chic? Here are five of the best laptop bags for tablets, netbooks and Ultrabooks that Reg Hardware saw during 2011. We'd recommend any of the following bags, but our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
    Thumb Up

Tosh AC100 -> Be.ez Le Reporter Air 11

Look! colour coordination for your AC100! Like it

2. paulc
    Stop

Chargers and their plugs...

Are a real problem... UK plugs are just too bulky and awkward...

1. youknowyouloveit

Wonder what happened to this?

I haven't seen or hear anything for over a year and a half.

http://www.reghardware.com/2009/06/24/folding_uk_plug/

2. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
      Megaphone

UKPlugs == safety

They're bulky for a very good [and designed] reason - to stop your fingers [and smaller=child] fingers touching live contacts. You may now have RCD circuits etc in your posh/new house but this was designed safety for the newly electric world. I have to say, as an owner of a French prop - UK plugs instill more confidence in their job than the current continental style [disclaimer - after 25yrs - I love France but not everything is better than the UK....)

3. dssf

Be CAREFUL with your treatment of your chosen bag

GODS!

A few months ago, I just got a new Gateway/Acer lappy. Put it into my NEW ful bag. Extracted my lappy, and the frackin CD caddy SNAGGED on the bag, breakiing or damaging a clip. Almost tore it of. I was crestfallen. Somehow, on inserting it into the bag, it ejected, so that on extraction of the laptop, the snag was inevitable unless I took it out slooooowwwwly.

Now, with the caddy facing UP, it's all to easy to apply too much grip pressure to lift the think. I don't want messenger-type of bags as I prefer a backpack so I can distribute the load over two padded straps, not ONE strap that digs into my shoulder.

Also, get a bag that can take the shackle/loop of a TSA or country-approved/domestically-sold lock of your choice, AND a laptop that if it has 3 pairs of zippers, that has zippers that can be bunched in adjacent pairs of your choosing so you only need two locks, not 3.

Also, avoid backpacs that have a center thread commond to both shoulder sttraps. My recent Ogio, which I liked VERY much, began tearing at the center thread because I carelessly ran too much (chasing buses and trains) with my prior 8.5 lbs laptop AND because on the train (where I couldn't hog two seats) I placed the shoulder straps over my knees (becasue I am *not* one who will set my belongings on a filthy vehicle floor). That strain accelerated the tearing of the threads, the canvas/plastic backing, and then....

Suddenly, a side zipper decided to snag. I thought I was smart by clipping the thread, but that degraded it to a ravel that began undoing. Within two weeks -- after having the bag since ~ Jan or so of 2011, it turned into an embarrassement and eyesore and heart-breaker when I became too hyperconscious that people could look at it.

Plus, I got SICK and tired of the volume of that bag allowing me to over stuff it and end up looking like a consummate hiker or some sort of "backpack bomber" I HATE walking past a store window and glancing at my profile and seeing this unfahionable, horrid, hideous "lump" or "cyst-like" "thing" falling from my shoulders. The tighter, slimmer bags are TOO tight, or too tight and too expensive.

Now, whereas my former 17"-capable Targus bag from Jan 2010 cost ~ USD $50, that frackker now is $100. Exploitative buyers/sellers ramped up the price, and it began to hurt hunting for a bag for my 17-incher that has a 5-minute battery, a stupidly-designed straight-out-from-the right- power pin (yes, an HP Pavillion), and NOISY cooling fans. So, that began the end of the love affair with the Pavillion and the quest to find a slipper, lighter, quieter laptop with a potential to have long batter life, AND that would not need a bag costing over $55. Hence, ful. I would have gone for an InCase, from Korea, but I didn't leave myself time, and perceived that I'd have to order from Korea, incurring shipping costs, time lags, and no hands-on-before-buying.

When you buy a bag, take your intended laptop and existing bag with you. Move your typical contents INTO that bag and put it on your shoulder/s. If you cannot bring a laptop, then if that store selling bags also sells laptops identical to or size-wise match your lappy, get the sales staff to allow you to fit-test them.

These bags SHOULD last 3+ years if treated well. Chasing transit vehicles will tear them up if saddled with more than the bare laptop.

Oh, also, find one with a reinforced carry handle. If you have good/full range of motion in your arms and neck, try lifting the bag one-handed, carefully rotate your wrist, and move the bag as if removing a jet pack or napalm rig. Or, find a table or temporary platform that'll let you lean some, offload the weight, and re-position it withough straining the shoulder strap threads. That is how I tore up my Ogio, carelessly and vigrously slinging it on and off, single-strap. Now, I want my ful to last better than 2 years. So, I'll try to be less of a fool and take care of my ful.

1. Martin Huizing
      Facepalm

Holy crap, what a rant!

In fact, check this guys previous posts. 12 FREAKING PAGES OF RANTS!

Somebody should capture them all and print it in book form. Seriously! I have never seen anyone write so much about nothing:

"Plus, I got SICK and tired of the volume of that bag allowing me to over stuff it"

WTF, dude? YOU decide how much you put in the bag. The bag doesn't control you!

Are you professionally trolling and getting paid for this? Please let me (us) know.

4. Dick Emery

There is one

Maybe not as thin but...

http://www.thinplug.com/thinplug/thinplug_shop

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like