Feeds

back to article Farmville maker Zynga raises $1bn for IPO

An online games company that derives most of its revenue from privately-held Facebook has raised $1bn in its initial public offering. That figure is second only to Google's IPO in 2004, when the world's largest ad broker got a $1.9bn leg-up. Zynga, which was founded in 2007 and develops games such as Farmville and Alec Baldwin' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Meh

The new face of gaming ... and I don't like it

This is a good place to put your money (unfortunately).

Zynga is really going to determine the future of gaming, based on sheer weight of numbers. When you can develop spend a year developing a complex game for 20 million hardcore gamers, or spend a month developing a simple game for 500 million casual gamers - which would you choose? Which do you think is going to determine how games are developed? There's quite a good take on it here:

http://insertcredit.com/2011/09/22/who-killed-videogames-a-ghost-story/

Silver badge

...and it's a lot simpler for Zynga. As a former Mafia Wars player, I can tell you that they don't have to go through the expense and hassle of beta-testing either. They just roll out new updates randomly and then sit back and wait to see if there are any complaints.

Not that they do anything about the complaints, but I like to think that they do notice them.

Silver badge

Why?

"Zynga is really going to determine the future of gaming,"

Where does that logic come from? Farmville sells to a completely different audience and needs a completely different set of development skills.

Traditional game makers like EA might grow a Zynga-like arm, but if they do it won't stop what they are doing now.

Where's the value of Facebook coming from?

Zynga are the people who have monetized Facebook.

I don't see that facebook on it's own has great value other than (another) advertising platform.

mindless games for the mindless masses™

ummm ... Facebook takes a 30% cut of Zynga revenue and Zynga spends back another $80 million in 2010 for advertising to Facebook .. easy money for Facebook ..

"Facebook made $176.7 million from virtual goods sold by Zynga in 2010 and $83.7 million in the first quarter of this year"

http://allthingsd.com/20110701/the-zynga-facebook-relationship-becomes-more-clear/

conceivably .. Facebook will make $300 million on Zynga's $1 billion revenue there this year, and get another $100 million in ad revenue from them .. nice little cash flow ..

Code likes those numbers

Silver badge

Waste, America ...

Or was that "waist" ...

If the country spent more time composting real steer manure and growing veggies with the resulting product (and eating said steer and home-grown veggies, of course!), we wouldn't have this kind of plastic, corporate bullshit inflicted upon us.

We'd be a hell of a lot healthier, to boot ...

I'm sure it's been done

A game where you manipulate a character sitting in an office bunking off work by playing a game manipulating a character sitting in an office bunking off work by playing a game...

I will call it 'VilleVille'.

Anonymous Coward

We need to go deeper.

Coat

Think Open Source

Or GnuVille

This topic is closed for new posts.