back to article 2011: annus horribilis for Microsoft and RIM

It's hard to know who has had a worse 2011. Microsoft, because during the first ten months of the year, its old OS outsold its new one? Or RIM, because its market share has more than halved during the same period? Both numbers, centred on the US smartphone biz, come from local market watcher NPD. Its figures, for January …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Painting a better picture of bad news,

using NPD figures for ANYTHING from American or Canadian companies is going to be rather biased in their favour (as Americans still think buying inferior American products made in the far east or south America helps the American economy).

WP7 marketshare globally is MUCH worse than this report makes out. <1% according to sources. I only know one person with one, and she ended up with it by accident by a shop that was VERY keen to get shot of it.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Facepalm

Quite right

Instead of this report, I will instead place my faith in your anecdotal evidence, which I'm sure provides a much broader and more insightful perspective of the global smartphone market.

2. Ramazan
      Headmaster

centred on the US smartphone biz

1st, America == North America + South America

2nd, the article mostly deals with operating systems from 4 USA companies (there's 1 dead Canadian and 1 Finnish OS too but let them bury their dead themselves).

3rd, WP7 didn't sell well in China, is it what you meant by "globally"? Thanks, but I'm not interested because I don't work for Microsoft

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Errm..

NPD is NORTH American only. i.e. United States and Canada, which is why both these companies love to quote NPD in everything, as it includes a vast proportion of sales that buck the global trend.

How hard it it to comprehend?

From Wikipedia:

"The NPD Group, Inc. (formerly National Purchase Diary) is a leading North American market research company. "

2. Neily-boy

Boo Hoo.......

Both Rim and Microsoft must be absolutely distraught at making billions of dollars in this annus horriblis.? I suspect someone is talking out of their anus horriblis?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree, seems marketing and upteen self appointed review sites from failed fashion houses go along way in dictating if a company is doing well or not. In many ways its the multiple decentralising of New's outlets and the added freedom that have enabled the sheep in society to be hurded by anybody wanting to play sheepdog and atm Paris Hilton has more say on what tech is good or bad as a posed some profesional working in that tech area, becasue sadly the consumer public is more in touch with Paris Hilton as a whole than your friendly nerd.

3. ScissorHands
    Unhappy

I believe Nokia had it a lot worse than RIM

* "Osborne-ing" their entire present and future product line at the start of the year, when they had lots of product in the pipeline and moderate success with the N8.

* 52% loss in unit sales

* Smartphone market share falling to 10%

* Quarterly, going from 500+ million euro profit to 100+ million euro LOSS (smartphone division)

* ASP falling from 14% growth per quarter to 14% NEGATIVE (they've been slashing prices left and right, and the profit on the Lumia800 is small because it's a seeder product)

* Falling from 1st to 4th smartphone manufacturer (behind HTC, and maybe 5th behind RIM)

* Throwing away its independence by eviscerating Maemo/MeeGo with extreme prejudice and joining Microsoft

4. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Android 5.0 will be called...

"ice-cream Oreo-cookie Sandwich" (iOS 5).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah, they'd have to strip so much of the useful stuff out before they could call it iOS

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

To right..

when was the last time you saw a mobile phone do as something as useful as a routing, VLAN'ing or switching.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Errr...

At first I thought you were going to say that Microsoft's business crashed, just like it's operating system does!

1. dogged

ahahahahahahaha! That so true!

Except that it doesn't or at least not more than anything else. And the phone doesn't crash at all.

Ah well, I guess that's too bad. Never let the truth stand in the way of great joke, though. It's funny because it's [NOT] true, right?

6. ThomH

IDC already have Samsung in first place worldwide

And they're the only manufacturer that both runs a single-vendor ecosystem (in Bada) and participates in the multi-vendor ecosystems (of Android and WP7), so they're doing it by keeping a finger in every available pie. Forget what the platform advocates say - that's providing your customers with freedom of choice. Hats off to them.

7. AndrewHolt

Market Share is misleading

If you have a growing market, you can have a falling market and still be increasing your sales numbers. What you need is to look at the value of that market share and compare that value to last year.

8. Armando 123

Annus horribilus

I see that phrase and think "Preparation H"

9. ColonelClaw

And in the UK?

How is WP7 doing in the UK? Everybody I know or have even met in the last 12 months has either had an iPhone or Android phone. So far I am yet to see a single WP7 phone. Any figures?

10. Chris Evans

"I believe Nokia had it a lot worse" HP also rivalling for worst

Yes if anyone has had an "annus horribilis" Nokia & HP have. They are in a different league to Microsoft or RIM!

11. Mikel
    Devil

Forbes had an interesting article

It was back in April by Adam Hartung. Title was "Sell Research In Motion. Now." At the time shares of RIM were selling for $53. Now they're under $14.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2011/04/17/sell-research-in-motion-now/

Seldom to you get such beautiful timing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like