Feeds

back to article Certification for Malaysian IT pros?

A proposal to introduce a bill to force all IT workers in Malaysia to be certified and registered via a single industry body has sparked agitation in the tech sector. If the proposed legislation, the Board of Computing Professionals Malaysia Bill 2011 (BCPM), is passed, Malaysia will be the first country with a law which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

I hope this catches on.

It is good enough for trades, doctors, engineers, vets and teachers to be registered to practice. Some paths are granted automatic registration or exemption from further requirements based on the standards of education.

Maybe then we get some Professional behaviour in the IT profession. I meet too many IT people that only have a job because their standard of work would not be tollerated in any other industry.

My current sysadmin is a walking Denial of Service Attack and somehow managed to blag his way into the job with no certified training. Despite demonstrating his incompetance several times during his probation the firm kept him on. (He must have naked pics of the MD or something.) If the firm's insurance company was to turn around an treat that as the risk that it is, a non registered Syadmin would not be worth the increase in premiums.

Registration won't make a person a good practitioner, but the best ones will be registered.

Damn it!

"They are also forbidden from gaining any fees, charges, remuneration or other form of consideration for any professional technology services rendered."

They left out the most important thing - "or fixing friends and relatives computers for free"

Thumb Up

Playing devil's advocate

Doctors and Aircraft Pilots are certified by their respective professional authorities

So why not Computer Programmers?

After all, we can cause real-life death with a register going negative and an appropriate loop...

Anonymous Coward

Worrying.

This is worrying. On first reading, the Bill looks innocuously like it only refers to CNII. However, what's defined as CNII in Malaysia is somewhat vague. Secondly, it would not be beyond the bounds of imagination for a project, however small, to be classed as CNII if that would allow a particular service provider to be excluded in favour of another, especially as the Registration Board's chair is to be subject to ministerial appointment. Despite the section(s) on conflict of interest I can quite easily see a company being deregistered for the duration of a bid process, depending on how many golf club memberships are at the disposal of competing execs.

A couple of comment pieces on CPB:

http://ernamahyuni.com/2011/12/08/killing-techies-the-malaysian-way/

http://ernamahyuni.com/2011/12/09/is-the-cpb-really-only-going-to-apply-to-cnii/

AC, since I'm an ex-pat IT bod in Malaysia.

any professional registering with the board ... possess professional experience ... unregistered IT professionals will not be allowed to “practice, carry on business or take up employment which requires him to carry out or perform the services of a Registered Computing Professional.

This is why logic should be left to professionals, public servants have no place in this space.

Silver badge

Not suprised really, Malaysia has been pretty hard on IT professionals.

Making them pay for their registration is just another way to kick them in the goulies.

It's Malaysia...

You will be able to by the certification in gross lots five minutes after they pass the legislation - it'll be just another way for them to line their pockets.

This topic is closed for new posts.