back to article iPad 3 out in March/April say part maker moles

The next iPad will be out in three to four months' time after going into production in January. Component makers are already shipping parts. So say a variety of moles in Asia, by way of DigiTimes. Their timeline puts the iPad 3's release in March or April 2012 - a year on from the shipment of the iPad 2, and two years on from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

I'd still so much rather they kept the screen as-is and updated the other hardware... we'd be able to do so much better 3D graphics, or have a really good battery life.

Oh well a project I'm on wants iPad support so hopefully iPad3 comes out soon so I can get one for work :)

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

I'll be waiting

> The new tablet's key feature is expected to be a 2048 x 1536 display

Not for the iPad but for the new generation of lappies that (hopefully) it will spawn. All with decent resolution screens to match the marketing spec that the iPad3 will set. Even if you need a magnifying glass to get the full benefit from them.

1. Oninoshiko

Is it bad that

I now have a scene from the movie "Brazil" in my head?

3. Stephen 2

I'm glad I bought the Kindle Fire now

I was holding off buying a Kindle Fire because I wanted an ipad (mainly just for the camera, I guess partly for iOS). Anyway, I'm glad I gave up waiting now that it seems more likely that the ipad 3 wont be released in January.

I'll consider selling the Kindle Fire when the ipad3 comes out though! Looking forward to seeing what comes out from Apple.

4. yoinkster
    Mushroom

year on year releases and people fall for it? I'm somewhat jealous that they've managed to monetise these people but does everyone else have the same effect on them?

Like, do they all replace their PCs, cars, phones, chairs and dog bowls every year too even though the thing they bought previously is still perfectly adequate?

People - I'll never understand them.

1. The First Dave
      Boffin

Just like cars, really. Your choice when you buy one - be an early adopter if you like, upgrade every year if you really want, or wait for the 3 release before you dive in at all...

2. Sean Baggaley 1
      WTF?

Apple kit holds its value pretty well...

... so an annual upgrade does make quite a bit of sense to many: keep the new machine for 12 months, then sell it on eBay for a pretty good sum of money (usually well over 75% of its original purchase price) and pay the relatively small difference for the new model. If you're a video editor or developer, this means you can have the fastest Apple for peanuts each year. In many ways, it's a lot like leasing.

Then again, lots of people appear to be quite willing to pay an annual subscription for sports games, so I don't understand what your problem is.

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Facepalm

Oh thank God! I was worried how on earth I was going to get through the next couple of weeks without the promise of a product update from Apple!

Time was a product release from any major company actually meant something but now they seem to be every other day and the amount of difference between products is so minimal and only seems to be exaggerated by those desperate to justify filling the coffers of a tech company!

Well at least if I want a cheap iPad 1 to mess about with, no doubt they will be two-a-penny on eBay come March 2012, every cloud and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

I just bought an original iPhone 1st gen for peanuts! I've waited and waited! Last year I bought a 1st gen iPod too. Amazing1

6. tmTM

More Mole Stories

The usual boring rumours persist.

Perhaps when the next ipad is released and it turns out to be circular with a 3D screen people will start to ignore the rumours and just wait for the official word.

7. JeffyPooh
    Joke

iPad 2 is obsolete !!

PlayBook still current. Just sayin'...

;-) !!!

1. Dana W
      Trollface

Current?

The Playbook is still current? Currently what? Badly thought out? Ugly and clunky even by the standards of Blackberry owners? A black eye on RIM's Reputation?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well..

I work for somewhere which sells iPads.

As part of an upcoming things for the diary spreadsheet, there was an "iPad 2 Gold" listed for march release.

Not sure if it means anything or not.

9. ZagZee
    Pint

isn't it about time then,

that a pre-production model was found in a pub to spark more hype and stop everyone from buying an alternative for Christmas?

10. JDX Gold badge

re:iPad 2 is obsolete !!

No it isn't, no it won't be. Apple still support even the iPhone 3GS in iOS5 so while iPad1/2 will lose support one day, it won't be when the iPad3 comes out.

11. Peter 48
    Thumb Up

suckers

congratulation, you have just saved Apple another few hundred grand in advertising costs by adding further fuel to the product hype without actually saying anything news worthy. But at least you managed to get some nice click counts to boost your own online stats.

Let me save you the hassle of finding "moles" for the next few weeks. Further insider information will reveal:

- the screen ration will stay at 4:3 instead of 16:9/10 of most android alternatives

- the ipad 3 will be available in Black & White at launch

- it will have an improved camera (probably that from the iphone 4)

- it will support SIRI

- it will have an improved processor

- it will have the same apple connector as all mobile apple devices (except the shuffle)

right that should give you at least 6 weeks worth of "incredible" "insider" "leaks"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like