Feeds

back to article Google splashes $US300m on HK data centre

Google’s first Asia Pacific data centre is currently under construction in Hong Kong and looking for staff. In September 2011, Google announced that it had acquired 2.7 hectares of land in the Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate in Kowloon, for the anticipated construction of data centre facilities. On December 8, Google revealed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Ooops!

Ooops!

I was going to suggest that Google take extra care to hire a few - or even better, many - Chinese intelligence services operatives, to to absolutely sure that their users' data and privacy are compromised as thoroughly as possible.

But then I realized that the further compromising of data and privacy was, after all, the undoubted reason why Google is open a data center in the first place. Because that's what Google does.

So the suggestion was probably unnecessary.

And I would have to think that in the unlikely event that the Chinese security services did not manage to get a sufficient number of their operatives in the data center, then they could always, you know, recruit as many people as needed who did get hired.

In fact, I would not be at all surprised if allowing Chinese security/intelligence/secret service access to all their data will eventually be, if it is not already, a condition for Google being allowed to do have a data center in China and to do business there.

Of course, I'm not saying that I have inside information or anything. But still. . .

Anonymous Coward

Naive

Hong Kong is more British than Chinese even today. And mind you don't you think Chinese Secret Operatives would already have access to big G's data? Given that they've already stolen tons of military plans directly from the Pentagon using Chinese ethnics resident in the US?

Not to mention so would the Russian and Ukraine Mafia, Iranian Electronic Warefare Unit, and a couple of bored kids dotted around the world.

FYI Hong Kong is often used as a hub to be outside of China's governing laws while still be relatively accessible to Chinese users. It is also in the middle of APAC making it a great position to serve Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and all the other countries around the area. All in all a strategic area that makes sense for any internet company rich enough to build a DC there.

Intel. Operatives

Your post has equal or greater resonance when replacing each reference to China with references to the USA

Anonymous Coward

Who said that...

they were going to put user data in it?

There are millions of cats video that Chinese want to see.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Correction:

"Hong Kong LAW is more British than Chinese even today."

The most pervasive culture is, and always has been, Chinese... though not the same Chinese culture as the Mainland.

Anyway, it's nice to see an international tech firm setting up something more than a marketing operation here.

This topic is closed for new posts.