back to article Steve Jobs' last design: New Apple HQ pics

Those who think that Apple is a strange cult will only have their suspicions confirmed by the recently released renderings of Apple's new Cupertino HQ published online yesterday. Apple HQ 1, credit Cupertino Council We've seen hazy pics of the building before, but the official images have just been posted on the Cupertino …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Meh

A maintenance nightmare

Looks pretty .... expensive to maintain to me ... one of the nightmares for building owners is the cost of keeping up appearances. Break a window and wait how long for a replacement?

1. Paul Bruneau

Yes because office building windows are constantly getting broken?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Believe it or not, complex-curved toughened glass has a rather impressive spontaneous failure rate. It's all to do with pressure points and shear angles.

1. Benchops
          Trollface

Impressive spontaneous failure rate?

I believe you're thinking of the complex-curved toughened glass used in Redmond.

2. AdamWill

well

to defend His Steveness for a change, given that the entire thing is a giant uniform shape, one would expect that the panels are probably of a standard size and shape. and they'll keep a stock of identical spares on site. it's not like each one is a unique custom job.

3. Ted
      Happy

But this will be triple layer like used in the Apple Store, so kinda hard to break. They designed all that out during the engineering phase.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows

Nightmare or no, he's living up to his motto in life: Give control to the users? "That would just allow people to screw things up."

1. serviceWithASmile
        Trollface

re: windows

I thought breaking windows was what apple was all about?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Look at it this way: If the wondows keep breaking, there'll be lots of jobs.

2. Ian Knight

Stargate ?

Does anyone else see the resemblence to a Stargate ?

Is this the plan, bring aliens to earth to wipe out the competition ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They should have

filled the middle with a gigantic pool, just to complete that illusion!

2. Benchops
      Go

That would be

the beta stargate. The alpha gate is in Cheltenham at GCHQ. Only three chevrons though -- gets as far as the moon.

3. Thomas 18
    Joke

Reanimation device

My though is that it's circular to trap Steve's ghost essence and channel it into the minds of workers. I think it's clear from the evidence:

1.Meticulously designed by a dying man

2.Apparent reality altering aura that blurs and influences colour balance and saturation.

3.Designed to be sealed up tight preventing any escape

4.Crewed by a slavish cult

1. chr0m4t1c

>4.Crewed by a slavish cult

I think you're mixing up employees and customers...

1. zen1

Uhhh

No he's not...

1. CheesyTheClown
          Holmes

Been in the old building a few times... DRONES!!!

Yep... have to say that while Apple is known for creativity and geekiness, most of the people I saw around there were buzz wordy drones.

4. HP Cynic

As I read the final para about the locked windows I could not help but think of Kahn's dying Moby Dick quote: "With my last breath, I spit at thee"

1. Alex-TheManfromUncle
      Pint

.. Just because it was the first thing that came to my head:

"KKAAAAAAAHHN!!"

"Kkaaaaaaahhn!"*

"..kkaaaaaaahhn.."*

(*echo effect)

[Last day of work, so Pub it is!]

5. G2
    Joke

in case of fire, break the glass. ALL of it :p

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Propulsion?

The design omits a few details:

Propulsion? Armament? Shields? Fighter bay capacity?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"He had never liked the idea of people being able to open things."

Who knew?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

But then why is that odd if your actually selling computers like appliances?

When you buy a toaster, TV, fridge, washing machine and so on do you look for a hatch to open them up?

While computers sometimes need memory and disk upgrades you tend to burn out your washing machine before you upgrade to a better model. This tends to be true of most people when it comes to computers, they stick with the factory specification.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        FAIL

"When you buy a toaster, TV, fridge, washing machine and so on do you look for a hatch to open them up?"

You know what, I often open my fridge, washing machine and toaster. I'd find them pretty bloody useless if I couldn't.

Similarly OS X Lion in fact, where I have to copy files to the LIBRARY, or edit the HOSTS file, but St. Jobs said that I am not allowed access to them. That's great, but it means that I cannot access the file server (needs HOSTS file update), or use Photoshop (needs files copied to LIBRARY)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

sudo nano /etc/hosts

sudo cp /etc/hosts /Library

2. miknik
      Trollface

Surprised there is any glass

I would have thought he would veto/fire/have killed anyone suggesting they install windows. Still, nice to see that at the heart of the building design is a lovely walled garden.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

It may be less nefarious then you think

If you look at the pics it is blurred because it is spinning to produce artificial gravity in flight. You do not really want to open the window in that case as the centrifugal force will throw you out and the Mothership will depart without you.

8. The Bit Wrangler

One ring to bind them all...

9. JDX Gold badge

That last quote is wonderful.

Personally I like the design, it's nice _someone_ is still building interesting stuff.

10. Anthony Hulse
    Happy

The Mothership has landed

Jobs' last homage to the old school Mac users maybe, who used to refer to the company as The Mothership. Personally I wonder if music plays if you tilt it to the south.

1. SiempreTuna

The current campus ..

.. is called the Mothership (complete with sign) - at least the new building will look like one

11. Jon Press

Judging by the blur in the first picture...

... it would appear to rotate at high speed. Don't know if that's the reality-distortion generator in operation or the picture five years down the line after the earthly remains of His Jobsworth have been spinning with increasing agitation at its centre.

12. Katie Saucey
    Alien

only hope

..let's take off and nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure..

1. Clive Mitchell
      Happy

@Katie

Classic!

13. nematoad
    Happy

Oh!

"And the trees will be largely apricots, if you're wondering."

Surely they should be Cox's Orange Pippin, Bramleys and so on, shouldn't they?

1. Zog The Undeniable

Actually

The McIntosh is an apple, hence the name of the personal computer line. It was munged into "Macintosh" because of a pre-existing trademark.

1. Paul Bruneau

Actually I think you're mistaken. They just misspelled it. They got sued anyway by the stereo equipment manufacturer.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Hmmm

I though the Apricot brand ended up with Mitsubishi?

I suspect its because genuine apples (lowercase) fall in autumn and make the ground look untidy, and give more scope to headline writers to use the word "rotten" in conjunction with the "A" word.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apricots

Steve Jobs said in an interview how much he missed the apricot orchards that filled the part of the Bay Area that because Silicon Valley.

3. Paul 2

Apricots

No, apricots is correct - the plot used to be an apricot orchard when Jobs was growing up, before HP bought the plot. Planting apricot trees was meant to be Jobs' way of restoring the area to its heritage... or something :-)

1. LaeMing
        Happy

Movin' to the Valley,

Gonna eat a lot of... apricots?

4. Dru Richman

Fruit trees

The Verge reports: "Orchards of apples, apricots, plums, and cherries also play a key part of the design..."

14. hugh
    Black Helicopters

Prior Art

I hope GCHQ have patented the design.

1. Northern Fop
      Trollface

Nice try

But when it comes to 'rounded corners', Apple hold *all* the rights. Everywhere.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

I've not bothered to check (this is a comment on the internets after all), but I suspect that the new Apple HQ will be bigger than GCHQ.

At least the above ground portions anyway...

15. Richard Hodgson

"The architects wanted the windows to open. Jobs said no. He had never liked the idea of people being able to open things. ‘That would just allow people to screw things up.’"

Well this certainly explains a lot...

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Oh dear

This is almost the perfect place to have windows that open. Air coming from the large park surrounding this low rise building? I'd hate working there without being able to crack the window. Maybe you wouldn't want to downtown where there are just cars passing under the window, but that looks like a fantastic place to open the window!

It's official: Steve Jobs is a dick.

2. Tom 38

It's hardly uncommon though is it? At my last place, we had windows that opened, but if you did dare open one, and the head of HR saw you, you would get summoned to her 'roasting room' (glass walled sound proof cubicle for 'interviews', although it felt more like a place you can silently ream someone out whilst everyone else stares) for re-education.

At the new place, there are no windows, just panes of glass, so at least the temptation has gone.

The best thing about a donut shape like this is that there are no corner offices, and most people will have some daylight coming into their space. That's a good thing. I wish I worked in a donut.

3. Peter 48
      Boffin

depends

I suspect this will have been designed with a whole building environment management system which controls lights, temperature and fresh air supply, like you will find in most modern high-rise office buildings. In cases like that, being able to open a window is actually highly counter-productive.

1. Keeees

And those systems work sooo well... Nothing like a bit of fresh air to perk up a tired office worker at say 3 pm.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have you ever heard of a break? It's where you actually get up and walk outside for some fresh air.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like