Feeds

back to article Steve Jobs' last design: New Apple HQ pics

Those who think that Apple is a strange cult will only have their suspicions confirmed by the recently released renderings of Apple's new Cupertino HQ published online yesterday. Apple HQ 1, credit Cupertino Council We've seen hazy pics of the building before, but the official images have just been posted on the Cupertino …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

A maintenance nightmare

Looks pretty .... expensive to maintain to me ... one of the nightmares for building owners is the cost of keeping up appearances. Break a window and wait how long for a replacement?

Yes because office building windows are constantly getting broken?

Silver badge

Believe it or not, complex-curved toughened glass has a rather impressive spontaneous failure rate. It's all to do with pressure points and shear angles.

well

to defend His Steveness for a change, given that the entire thing is a giant uniform shape, one would expect that the panels are probably of a standard size and shape. and they'll keep a stock of identical spares on site. it's not like each one is a unique custom job.

Ted
Happy

But this will be triple layer like used in the Apple Store, so kinda hard to break. They designed all that out during the engineering phase.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Impressive spontaneous failure rate?

I believe you're thinking of the complex-curved toughened glass used in Redmond.

Anonymous Coward

Windows

Nightmare or no, he's living up to his motto in life: Give control to the users? "That would just allow people to screw things up."

Trollface

re: windows

I thought breaking windows was what apple was all about?

Silver badge

Look at it this way: If the wondows keep breaking, there'll be lots of jobs.

Stargate ?

Does anyone else see the resemblence to a Stargate ?

Is this the plan, bring aliens to earth to wipe out the competition ?

Anonymous Coward

They should have

filled the middle with a gigantic pool, just to complete that illusion!

Bronze badge
Go

That would be

the beta stargate. The alpha gate is in Cheltenham at GCHQ. Only three chevrons though -- gets as far as the moon.

Joke

Reanimation device

My though is that it's circular to trap Steve's ghost essence and channel it into the minds of workers. I think it's clear from the evidence:

1.Meticulously designed by a dying man

2.Apparent reality altering aura that blurs and influences colour balance and saturation.

3.Designed to be sealed up tight preventing any escape

4.Crewed by a slavish cult

>4.Crewed by a slavish cult

I think you're mixing up employees and customers...

Uhhh

No he's not...

Holmes

Been in the old building a few times... DRONES!!!

Yep... have to say that while Apple is known for creativity and geekiness, most of the people I saw around there were buzz wordy drones.

As I read the final para about the locked windows I could not help but think of Kahn's dying Moby Dick quote: "With my last breath, I spit at thee"

Pint

.. Just because it was the first thing that came to my head:

"KKAAAAAAAHHN!!"

"Kkaaaaaaahhn!"*

"..kkaaaaaaahhn.."*

(*echo effect)

[Last day of work, so Pub it is!]

G2
Joke

in case of fire, break the glass. ALL of it :p

Silver badge

Propulsion?

The design omits a few details:

Propulsion? Armament? Shields? Fighter bay capacity?

Happy

"He had never liked the idea of people being able to open things."

Who knew?

Gold badge

But then why is that odd if your actually selling computers like appliances?

When you buy a toaster, TV, fridge, washing machine and so on do you look for a hatch to open them up?

While computers sometimes need memory and disk upgrades you tend to burn out your washing machine before you upgrade to a better model. This tends to be true of most people when it comes to computers, they stick with the factory specification.

Trollface

Surprised there is any glass

I would have thought he would veto/fire/have killed anyone suggesting they install windows. Still, nice to see that at the heart of the building design is a lovely walled garden.

Silver badge
Devil

It may be less nefarious then you think

If you look at the pics it is blurred because it is spinning to produce artificial gravity in flight. You do not really want to open the window in that case as the centrifugal force will throw you out and the Mothership will depart without you.

Gold badge
FAIL

"When you buy a toaster, TV, fridge, washing machine and so on do you look for a hatch to open them up?"

You know what, I often open my fridge, washing machine and toaster. I'd find them pretty bloody useless if I couldn't.

Similarly OS X Lion in fact, where I have to copy files to the LIBRARY, or edit the HOSTS file, but St. Jobs said that I am not allowed access to them. That's great, but it means that I cannot access the file server (needs HOSTS file update), or use Photoshop (needs files copied to LIBRARY)

Anonymous Coward

sudo nano /etc/hosts

sudo cp /etc/hosts /Library

One ring to bind them all...

JDX
Gold badge

That last quote is wonderful.

Personally I like the design, it's nice _someone_ is still building interesting stuff.

Judging by the blur in the first picture...

... it would appear to rotate at high speed. Don't know if that's the reality-distortion generator in operation or the picture five years down the line after the earthly remains of His Jobsworth have been spinning with increasing agitation at its centre.

Bronze badge
Alien

only hope

..let's take off and nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure..

Happy

@Katie

Classic!

Happy

The Mothership has landed

Jobs' last homage to the old school Mac users maybe, who used to refer to the company as The Mothership. Personally I wonder if music plays if you tilt it to the south.

The current campus ..

.. is called the Mothership (complete with sign) - at least the new building will look like one

Anonymous Coward

The first commandment:

"Thou shalt not open windows!"

Thumb Up

Yes!

I knew there was a better joke in there somewhere!

Silver badge
Windows

RE: "The first commandment:" No open Windows?

I think you'll find that Bill would agree with that!

Black Helicopters

Prior Art

I hope GCHQ have patented the design.

Silver badge
Trollface

Nice try

But when it comes to 'rounded corners', Apple hold *all* the rights. Everywhere.

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

I've not bothered to check (this is a comment on the internets after all), but I suspect that the new Apple HQ will be bigger than GCHQ.

At least the above ground portions anyway...

Bronze badge
Happy

Oh!

"And the trees will be largely apricots, if you're wondering."

Surely they should be Cox's Orange Pippin, Bramleys and so on, shouldn't they?

Actually

The McIntosh is an apple, hence the name of the personal computer line. It was munged into "Macintosh" because of a pre-existing trademark.

Bronze badge

Hmmm

I though the Apricot brand ended up with Mitsubishi?

I suspect its because genuine apples (lowercase) fall in autumn and make the ground look untidy, and give more scope to headline writers to use the word "rotten" in conjunction with the "A" word.

Actually I think you're mistaken. They just misspelled it. They got sued anyway by the stereo equipment manufacturer.

Silver badge

Apricots

Steve Jobs said in an interview how much he missed the apricot orchards that filled the part of the Bay Area that because Silicon Valley.

Apricots

No, apricots is correct - the plot used to be an apricot orchard when Jobs was growing up, before HP bought the plot. Planting apricot trees was meant to be Jobs' way of restoring the area to its heritage... or something :-)

Fruit trees

The Verge reports: "Orchards of apples, apricots, plums, and cherries also play a key part of the design..."

Silver badge
Happy

Movin' to the Valley,

Gonna eat a lot of... apricots?

"The architects wanted the windows to open. Jobs said no. He had never liked the idea of people being able to open things. ‘That would just allow people to screw things up.’"

Well this certainly explains a lot...

Silver badge
Pint

Oh dear

This is almost the perfect place to have windows that open. Air coming from the large park surrounding this low rise building? I'd hate working there without being able to crack the window. Maybe you wouldn't want to downtown where there are just cars passing under the window, but that looks like a fantastic place to open the window!

It's official: Steve Jobs is a dick.

Silver badge

It's hardly uncommon though is it? At my last place, we had windows that opened, but if you did dare open one, and the head of HR saw you, you would get summoned to her 'roasting room' (glass walled sound proof cubicle for 'interviews', although it felt more like a place you can silently ream someone out whilst everyone else stares) for re-education.

At the new place, there are no windows, just panes of glass, so at least the temptation has gone.

The best thing about a donut shape like this is that there are no corner offices, and most people will have some daylight coming into their space. That's a good thing. I wish I worked in a donut.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.