back to article Cross-border shopping wars: EC proposes free online arbitration

The European Commission has proposed a free online dispute resolution platform through which traders and consumers could resolve disputes over online purchases. The Commission has published a draft regulation on online dispute resolution and said that a new platform would save time in ending consumer disputes and "ease …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Or ...

Perhaps "the consumer" could walk out into the highstreet & actually look the seller in the eye & shake their hand, all local-like?

It's how we do business here at the Ranch ... and it's been working for over a decade.

Profitably, I might add.

Hmm, but wouldn't work so well if the trader doesn't have a store in the vicinity, or even in the country.

Silver badge

@BrownishMonstr

I'd wager that everything you need in your life & business life is available within 100 road miles of your current location.

Note the word "need". It's kind of important.

Silver badge

Jake

I could fly out to France to shake hands with the man selling the items I want, buy them, have a meal and a night at the opera and still be quids in.

I'm hiring a white van and going to Holland to get something the English importer wants to much of a 'delivery' charge on.

I'd love to be able to look the UK seller in the eye - but they hide behind shell companies and massive profit margins.

Silver badge

@Tom 7

You're talking luxuries, not needs. Reconfigure your life, you'll be a lot happier. Trust me, I've been there & done that. For example, "local and in season" is always cheaper and tastier than "imported and out of season" ... and purchasing raw ingredients and prepping/cooking them for yourself always is cheaper than purchasing prepared food.

Simplify. Makes life easier :-)

Thumb Up

Good news from the European Commission

We need this yesterday. It will be a massive stimulus to online sellers who have invested in their ordering and fulfillment systems, and with luck it means bye-bye to many of the cheats and scams. No discussion of how it affects eBay trades that go wrong though.

Good Idea

I know of people who have had atrocious handling of their complaints by sellers.

One in particular seemed unable to accept that there is a law covering the replacement

of defective goods after a year, and went as far as to ban, for life, the consumer from purchasing

further goods, for making a fuss regarding defective items purchased from their store.

Funny thing is they lost out of a lot of future business as additional items were sourced else where, and the company is now on the Lemon list.

Trading Standards did nothing to assist the purchaser.

So bring it on...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums