Feeds

back to article Japan, Russia in plan for elephant to birth CLONE MAMMOTH

Japanese and Russian boffins are planning to impregnate an elephant with a mammoth embryo cloned from viable fossil DNA discovered frozen beneath the icy Siberian tundra, according to reports. AFP reports that a joint team of boffins from Japan and Russia discovered mammoth DNA - which they consider to be in good enough …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Facepalm

DNA

Where will the genetic variation come from? Or do they have DNA from a whole heard of Mammoth?

Headmaster

Would that be...

...a thundering heard of mammoth?

Happy

To be honest Mike, whilst you raise a valid point ( and one that, realistically, dooms the project to inevitable - and probably sad - failure), all I'm thinking right now is OMFG MAMMOTHS!111!!!ELEVENTYONE!!111!!

Surely gender variation would be the first problem (if they are actually trying to start a breeding program).

Just to see one would be interesting enough. I doubt there will be a re-introduction programme.

Anonymous Coward

re: genetic variation.

I saw a TV program about this about 10 years ago just afer they found the frozen baby mamoth.

The program was mainly about how they were going to defrost and examine the remanes.

They talked about the prospect of cloning then, and suggested that elephant DNA would be sifficianty similar to allow cross breeding, and that with careful breeding they should be able to get to a high percentage Mamoth (my memory is of 90+%).

Elemoths!

A hybrid would be known as a mammophant or elemoth (depending which species were mother and father). Just imagine a herd of elemoths roaming - or gliding, on Dumbo-like ears? - across the plains of Siberia... Russia is in with a chance on this program but I think Japan is going to lose out, they don't have the room.

Silver badge

I'm now developing plans for a REALLY BIG barbeque...

Happy

Depends if they taste nice :-)

Re: Elemoths!

"Just imagine a herd of elemoths roaming - or gliding, on Dumbo-like ears? - across the plains of Siberia..."

The Chinese would declare them to be an ancient aphrodisiac and poach the lot (pun intended).

Anonymous Coward

They are not attempting to cross-breed them...

They are going to implant fully-formed mammoth embryos into an elephant for gestation.

[RTFA]

Thumb Down

Of course...

...I've heard of mammoth

Silver badge

Apparently

A team did manage to successfully clone a mammoth but then the scientists got one-shotted by a pissed off giant.

Facepalm

More to the point, why bother?

Let sleeping Mammoths lie.

Holmes

Starting from Zero.

If this works they will have to do a bit of inbreeding, just like pedigree animals. Until there is enough diversity. Or they could just continue cloning like they do will prime steers in the USA.

I'd love to ride a Mammoth. It's been a dream ever since I saw the Flintstones.

Anonymous Coward

@Mike Tree

Mammoths? I've heard of them. Haven't you?

Boffin

Awesome!

Franken-science is the best science.

Coat

Hope they implement the Lysine contingency...

don't want these things running around in my back garden making a mess.

Just the one?

Would be a bit sad to be cloned back from extinction and then be the only mammoth in existence. Would be like Ice Age (2?).

Also I would fully support the cloning of a sabre toothed squirrel ...

Happy

What next?

Sabre-toothed cats? It's all harmless fun until someone gets eaten.

Technically speaking ...

Wouldn't this be a chimera rather than a pure clone, given that the egg and mitochondria would be from an elephant?

Joke

Saw the film about this

Didn't turn out well.

says:

Recipe:

Mammoth & chips. Serves 40.

First recreate your mammoth from frozen DNA...

Could they not profitably do this with the recently deceased Black Rhino? It should certainly be easier.

Anonymous Coward

Unless...

it comes in Mammoth Portions

Anonymous Coward

That would make sense, apart from the fact that this trick (if successful) would bring in a lot more cash. Maybe enough to fund multiple resurections of extinct species.

Dodo and Chips anyone? The ease of capture and good taste is what done erm in the first time.

Thumb Up

YES!

Yes! Yes!

Are they accepting requests?

1. Woolly Mammoth

2. Dodo

3. Sabre-toothed tiger

4. Quagga

5. Steller's Sea Cow

6. Giant Ground Sloth

7. Great Auk

I could go on...

Coat

Any last requests?

8. HP TouchPad.

OK, I admit that wasn't funny.

Silver badge

Know what else isn't funny?

9. Psion palmtops

More requests

9 - Dire wolf, then let it loose in North America, lets see thos b????ds shoot that sucker.

Thumb Down

re: dire wolf

"...lets see thos b????ds shoot that sucker."

That would just be a challenge to my fellow Americans to buy better guns. I don't want all my neighbors to be so well armed!

c3
Thumb Down

I'd think they'd rather enjoy that

what with assault rifles being sold at Walmart (AFAIK).

Silver badge

@richard 7

Surely they'd just lob a gooey blob somewhere near it?

Anonymous Coward

@ThomH

Of course, they'd pop a "disbelieve" first...

Devil

It is very dark...

10 - Grue

C 2
Pint

Actually ...

The Dodo where tough and not tasty. Plus they were mean.

Sorry to rain on that parade, have a pint.

okay, Dire Wolves with frikin' lasers on their 'eds.

Silver badge

Slightly confused

Are we talking about the Dire Wolfs from Battletech with dual PPCs and an LRM40 rack?

Good luck hunting one of those.

c3
Thumb Down

For how many of those do you have valid DNA ?

I guess the chance of finding a frozen Dodo are quite slim.

Happy

10. Marilyn Monroe. I'll take two.

"mammoth foetus cloned from viable fossil DNA"

Really? I thought it was deemed pretty much impossible to get as far as the foetus stage, let alone a full grown mammal.

Bronze badge
Boffin

I think that's the 'viable' part coming into play there.

Anonymous Coward

> "a full grown mammal"

They're planning to denucleate an elephant egg and transplant a mammoth nucleus into it. That's the exact same technique that worked well enough to produce Dolly the sheep.

On an unrelated point, why is everyone calling it "fossil" DNA? If it's to stand a chance of working at all, it has to be actual real DNA that was preserved by freezing, not the petrified/calcified outline of a place where DNA used to be, which is the usual meaning of "fossil" anything.

Mushroom

So...

...how long before Mammoth burgers go on sale?

Coat

Mmmmmmm.

Mammoth Burger.

It'd be huge in Russia.

Bronze badge

And I

Want the pygmy wolly mammoths that used to roam Malta.

A mammoth that's shetland pony size.....

Shirley

"Mammoth" (with sarky quote fingers when spoken) surely

Anonymous Coward

What for?

Silver badge

Sounds neat

but then Malta is somewhat short on permafrost, last time I looked.

There were pygmy mammoths on certain Siberian islands as well, maybe that is the better option.

mmmm

Tasty, I for one welcome these new and exotic meats that were obviously prized foodstuffs of the time.

They should bring back the dodo too, that was apparently tasty enough to be made extinct from it's edibility.

And a thousand years in the future they could bring back Anchovies.

Gold badge

>They should bring back the dodo too, that was apparently tasty enough to be made extinct from it's edibility.

ISTR that's a myth as "tasty" is entirely subjective. After having sailed halfway around the world on a diet of salted pork and weevil-ridden biscuits, anything living that's a bit crap at running away qualifies.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.