Feeds

back to article Technology v support: Amazon's premium challenge

In order to compete in the public cloud with the Amazon juggernaut, rivals like Rackspace and Alcatel-Lucent are turning to value-added services to try to turn commoditised cloud computing into premium offerings. It's unclear whether this will work. Once customers get habituated to "low cost and more than good enough", it's hard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Did you just say Rackspace and Service in the same sentence?

I'd say that it was an oxymoron but there are still a few "rackspacers" I've spoken to that are courteous and efficient, they're in the minority though.

Anonymous Coward

cackspace

Applied to these jokers for employment some time ago, I could not answer my mobile when they called, called back the following day and left a message and the HR wonk was supposed to call me back, I'm still waiting,

I hate to think how they treat paying customers.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

6+ years customer here and still enjoying Rackspace support...

Aye, two Anonymous Coward monkeys: one is still angry because he didn't get a job at Rackspace and the other one trash-talks about Rackspace's excellent support, without any facts...

...I guess Rackspace has nothing to fear, competition seems to be pretty desperate.

On a more serious note:

"Engates made it clear that his company's commitment to "fanatical support" is just as relevant in the cloud age as in yesterday's hosting market, and will continue to win Rackspace customers against Amazon's more impersonal approach."

As someone using Rackspace for 6 or more years I wholeheartedly agree with this; their top-notch support is why I stick to my Rackspace guns whenever annual renewal comes up.

Their response time to online tickets may vary from minutes up to an hour (off-hours) but you should just call in: phone support is *ALWAYS* amazing and 24/7/365 they always have all types of experts available. For simpler issues the best approach is open a ticket then call in; you'll get immediate response and don't have to explain anything, for more complex ones just call in and that's it..

Even if we forget the cost-savings with Rackspace vs having your own, decent-sized and well-trained internal staff you still won't have *ALL* the experts you will need down the line, I can almost guarantee that. And when you're in the ditch it can make or break your business how fast you can react, y'know.

This topic is closed for new posts.