back to article UN's lax security exposed by password-slurping hacktivists

Hacktivist group TeaMp0isoN has hacked into the website of the United Nations Development Programme, making off with hundreds of email addresses, usernames and plain-text passwords that were later dumped onto Pastebin. Individuals working for the UNDP, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, UNICEF, the World …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Not Bad, for a Crap Idea

Operation Robin Hood will hurt the charity, not the banks.

The card holders will complain to their issuing bank that they never donated.

The bank will check with the payment provider, who will check with the merchant (the charity) and ask for proof for the transaction.

Unable to provide proof, it's a fraud after all, the payment provider or issueing bank will issue a charge bank.

Charge backs a) a waste of time, b) incur fees/penalties for the merchant, and c) the merchant, sorry, charity, may stop accepting credit card donations for (a limited time | ever) as a result.

The bank is used to handling high volume challenges of this sort. The merchant is not.

Good idea. If you're trying to do a DoS on the chary, that is.

Anonymous Coward

Sigh...

What is it with these self centred arrogant tosspots and believeing that they are the only way truth and light, everyone else is corrupt and evil so are fair targets for anything that they get.

Things aren't black and white, sometimes you have to deal with nasty people in the real world, as I'm sure they'd find out, if they knew anything about the UN.

No, the UN isn't perfect, but it's a damn site better than anything else we've got.

Anonymous Coward

Do me a favour

This is the same Team Poison that once claimed they didn't target financial institutions or get involved in fraud and money because they would get raided near instantly. Double standards right there, huh?. I'm beginning to wonder if *these* guys are the false flag and not LulzSec because, again they are too brazen, too open and attacking high profile targets.

I don't know what they hope to achieve by doing this, because it won't change a damned thing. Banks will issue charge-backs, charities won't get their money, life will go on. If these guys aren't a false flag then you can rest assured they will get caught and will never be heard from again, especially if the rumours I've heard about attacking systems owned by Mossad are true - what's the point in trying to smash the system when the system will just smash you? Nineteen Eighty-Four springs to mind and I can't believe how people can be so arrogant and smug about something so inherently pointless and unachievable.

Breaking the law and harming innocent people for the sake of "hacktivism". Give me a break. Bunch of arrogant upstarts who don't understand how the world works. For the record I am struggling financially and am most definitely one of the so-called "99%" before you ask - I am not a gazillionaire slave master with a monocle.

Anonymous Coward

I like how people are actually taking this seriously instead of treating TeamPoison with the absolute disgust they deserve.

Their skills consist of being able to find some google dorks on a website and use an automated tool to dump a database. I have been reliably informed that they are for the most part between 15 and 18.

Do some research and you will find that not a single "center" of Anonymous seems to have had anything to do with this.

On the other hand, do some research on TeamPoison and you will find a wikipedia article they seem to have written themselves, along with a bunch of self-aggrandizing releases.

They're teenagers looking for attention, not hacktivists.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums