A portion of the promised science budget in yesterday's Autumn Statement will go on a new British-built satellite constellation, the Minister for Universities and Science said. Artist's impression of a NovaSAR satellite over Earth Artist's impression of a NovaSAR satellite over Earth. Credit: SSTL Chancellor of the Exchequer …
It is going to be a little bit more expensive
This one cost about 1 billion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAR-Lupe
Except the German probably developed the technology by themselves. Britain will most likely borrow (steal) it of the Americans or the Germans, the Chinese are not the only ones to carry out industrial espionage. Cutting costs drastically. Plus us Brits have always done space at a fraction of the cost of other nations achieving the same result.
Animal Health Laboratory? Is that another ironically named version of Huntingdon Life Sciences then?
Re: Animal Health
Nah, it's probably to fund some proper biocontainment at Pirbright so they can keep the all the foot & mouth disease from getting out...
The remaining money...
...won't GCHQ pony up the rest of the money, given NovaSAR's utility in surveillance activities? Is this not just yet another example of us running something rather less secretly that the US already have?
- Asteroids as powerful as NUCLEAR BOMBS strike Earth TWICE YEARLY
- Apple stuns world+dog with SEVEN-way split: What does that mean?
- Got Windows 8.1 Update yet? Get ready for YET ANOTHER ONE – rumor
- Patch iOS, OS X now: PDFs, JPEGs, URLs, web pages can pwn your kit
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call