back to article Gov asks disabled users how it can make web easier

The government has asked for views on what problems disabled people face when using the web and other technologies and whether laws and regulations should be changed to improve accessibility. A web-based forum has been established to ask users how laws and guidance could be improved to enable wider access to information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Its actually quite easy

1st you design your website to be accessible - nothing flash (especially flash!) - simple pages without clutter or special styling only meaningful to your design dept - and doing one job simply on each page, put in in all the WAI bits and pieces and actually work through it several time - test them with someone with disabilities if you can - but blindfolding yourself and using a screenreader is an

eye-opener. You end up with a simple, logical, clean and very easy to maintain set of pages that perform the function they are required to do.

Then maybe style it a bit so it looks pretty (whatever that is this week) and fits into your web site easily.

Then stop because that's all you need to do. Gilding the lilly kills it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Totally agree....

...it's not f'ing hard to label an image with a meaningful alt is it? Going by much of the web, imgagexyz123.png is fine for most people.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Does he take sugar?

Bit of a blinder, that. Asking disabled people what they /want/? We might be in the 21st Century after all!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works for me...

This would be the same government - sensationally proficient in all matters technical - that invented the Web and spread it world wide, would it?

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Meh

Sadly, doubtful

Mrs JP has MS, which (in her case) has f*cked up her eyes, and co-ordination. As a result, I am *acutely* aware of accessibility issues regarding web design. Unfortunately, I have yet to have a boss who thinks it is in any way a priority - despite the DDA making it a liability. Which is a great shame, as the interweb is a great leveller. Although Mrs JP can't get out easily, she can engage socially with people all over the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.