Feeds

back to article Jarmageddon: Marmite spill sparks biohazard threat

A flood of yeast extract has blocked the M1 motorway in South Yorkshire after a truck containing the Marmite ingredient crashed and spilled its load. The road is still closed this morning, according to the latest traffic information, as cleanup workers scoop 23.2 tonnes of the gloopy brown stuff off the road surface. South …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Joke

Is it just me or....

Do we really have a story here about people being stuck on the "marmite motorway". I know it's a euphemism, but still ;-)

Coffee/keyboard

Dang!

Beat me to it. Well done, sir.

Coat

Marmite....You either love it or hate it!

Mine's the one with the jar in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

I think Radio 2 were dancing around that one this morning.

They did manage "A spot of bovril 'ere mate" and a request to confirm it was on the "yeastbound carriageway" though.

It's all a conspiracy

MarM1te.

Do I need to spell out the connection?

Are they going to send in the military?

I like the image of soldiers covered in marmite.

Anonymous Coward

That's a kinky fetish

TRT
Silver badge

Hmm...

Marmite and jam.

Hmm

Now all we need is for a couple more lorries to crash on the site... preferably one from Lurpack and one from Hovis... and then maybe for them to catch light and toast the area?

Needs a Wednesdaydale lorry rather than a Lurpak one in my opinion.

WTF?

Butter *and* marmite? Are you insane??

Facepalm

Was it on the yeastbound carriageway?

/Orders Taxi.

This is the yeast-bound carriageway, I assume.

Thumb Up

I heard the yeastbound carriage way is blocked

Love it

Silver badge

Causing the marmite love/hate balance to tip in the direction of hate, I suppose.

Just needs a truck load of toast.

Coat

Yeast extract?

Is there a rising sense of panic in the area?

Thumb Up

There, fixed it for you

More like a rising count of picnics in the area.

Thumb Up

Indescribable! Indestructible! Great on cheese sandwiches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlsBem2JOl0

Filmed up the Coromandel (no, thats not a euphemism) in New Zealand.

Silver badge
Happy

I would have called it *toxic* waste

Marmite, Promite, Vegemite and other similar "black goop" spreads have got to be the foulest-tasting concoctions known to mankind. If I'd seen a spill of that gunk like that, I'd have recommended isolating the spill zone and evacuating the surrounding 5 kilometres!

Coat

> If I'd seen a spill of that gunk like that, I'd have recommended isolating the spill zone and

> evacuating the surrounding 5 kilometres!

And nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Sorry, had to be done...

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: "...evacuating the surrounding 5 kilometres"

...Actually, I suspect that 20+ tons of spilled Marmite rather looked like the surrounding 5 kilometers had ALREADY evacuated...

IT Angle

IT Angle?

Maybe the story has a very thin chance of being innuendo bait, but really, a traffic accident report on El Reg?

Coat

Waste?

"The dumped yeast extract was described as "waste" by the BBC, so is highly unlikely to now end up in Marmite jars."

No doubt the plods told them it was waste because they don't want thousands of people turning up with slices of toast.

Devil

What no playmobil re-enactment?

Shame on you reg, Playmobil Marmite motorway (thanks for that @phlashbios) coverage would surely be called for?

Where is the "Where is the Playmobil?" icon?

Gold badge
Coat

"...has blocked the M1 motorway..."

Oh dear. Let's hope it doesn't spread....

Anonymous Coward

It's ok

Currently it's only on the yeast bound carriageway.

Silver badge
Pint

Surely...

"...The dumped yeast extract was described as "waste" by the BBC, so is highly unlikely to now end up in Marmite jars..."

...this could only improve the taste and unquestioned life-enhancing properties of this wonder-sludge?

No evil bacterium could live for long amongst the vitamin-packed nutrition of this prince of comestibles....

Beer, because that's where it comes from...

Happy

Or we could just drive all the marmite lovers up there

And let them lick it off the road.

Best place for Marmite lovers..... as far away from me as possible. Yeck!

Anonymous Coward

"A flood of yeast extract has blocked the M1 motorway in South Yorkshire" Nothing to do with Marmite, that's just the thrush from the nearby 'ladies' of Barnsley...

Bonus

Scratch out one lorry load of foul tar of toast and one less caravan into the bargain! Huzzah!

Silver badge
Alert

This is no accident

It's an experimental grit substitute...

Thumb Up

My family always accuse me of spreading it thick enough to put on the roads anyway...

Childcatcher

Bacteria?

I've never seen anything grow on Marmite, ever...

Unlike any other food sources/edible things such as bread, cheese (ok it's a given), salad items, fruit, etc.

Is the Marmite bacteria brown like Marmite? Or is it invisible?

Its the salt content perhaps

That's why you don't see mouldy Marmite

Silver badge
Boffin

As I read it,

This is the waste yeast from brewing used to make Marmite. Marmaite is made by denaturing the yeast by adding salt and heating - bacteria are unlikely to live in the result due to the osmotic pressure from the salt content, but the raw material - yeast extract - is highly nutritious to bacteria. This, presumably, is one of the reasons it has to be processed to make Marmite - raw yeast extract would be liable to give you quite a gippy stomach once your gut bacteria get stuck in.

Silver badge

Strangely ...

I'm gnawing on a bit of Marmite-smeared sourdough toast over my second cup of coffee as I type. Lovely stuff :-)

Help is on its way

A lorry load of Canesten is on route to clear up the problem.

psshhtt

Pics or GTFO

Bronze badge
Coat

I heard about this earlier...

from My Mate :-D

Call me a nit picker...

...but the M1 runs North-South. I therefore declare all yeastbound carriageway jokes null and void.

Go on - call me a nit picker!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Go on - call me a nit picker!

"...but the M1 runs North-South. I therefore declare all yeastbound carriageway jokes null and void."

Couldn't resist this one. The BBC page linked from the article states that both carriageways were closed between junctions 32 and 33. It just so happens that that stretch of the M1 runs East-West.

Coat

Speaking of nit-picking...

Actually, there *is* an East-West section of the M1 - to the north-east(ish) of Sheffield. Junction 33 to the M18!

TRT
Silver badge

I can them void...

because it was on Radio 4.

Facepalm

Bah! bad luck on me!

Coat

So 23 tons of Marmite ...

... are now toast?

Stop

Yeastbound Carriageway

That was on "Today" this morning, so no marks for originality.

Anonymous Coward

fanny batter

Gives me thrush.. glad I'm not driving near there.

Silver badge

Brewers yeast (cerevisiae) != the kind that infects people's naughty bits (candida)

They are both called yeast, in much the same way that haddock and sharks are both called fish.

Bronze badge

Recent calculations show that

At 4 grammes Marmite per serving and 30 grammes per piece of toast we will need 150 tonnes of toast to clear the mess up.

Plus, at 5 soldiers per slice and 8 dips per soldier, 3.125 million soft boiled eggs.

That's a lorra, lorra breakfasts.

Happy

Standard Units Please...

Was it enough Marmite to fill an olympic sized swimming pool?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.