back to article Acer, Samsung, Lenovo line up behind Nvidia Tegra 3

Add the names Acer, Lenovo and Samsung to that of Asus as members of the list of manufacturers who'll be offering Android tablets based on Nvidia's five-core Tegra 3 chip. So say the inevitable Taiwanese notebook maker moles cited, as always, by local newssite DigiTimes. They also express some scepticism that any of these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

I don't intend to buy one of the heavily locked down options at either end of that scale. Just waiting for the heavyweight tablets to get ICS versions/upgrades to be announced. I can't be alone on this and I reckon that slow tablet sales in this 'mid-range' of vendors is actually attributable to the target audience being discriminating enough buyers to make sure they get the best possible product for the money, rather than just buying a) the cheapest option or b) picking a supplier and blindly accepting whatever they are offering.

I welcome this split and the fact that it is hopefully obvious to the manufacturers. The fanbois will buy Apple regardless so there is no point taking their preferences into account when designing the tablet. With the extreme low-end gone too, hopefully they will realise that penny-pinching when it comes to components which will lower the overall quality isn't worth it either. With those segments out of the picture, with any luck what they come up with has more chance of actually appealing to me as part of a narrower target demographic.

I suspect the so-called analysts will once again be proved to have no more insight than the average person on the street. Transformer Prime with ICS will be taking my money unless something better comes along in the meantime.

Silver badge

A five core chip for mobile?

What kind of battery life are Nvidia predicting for these gadgets? 5 minutes?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: A five core chip for mobile?

Fear not, 80 per cent of the cores will be powered down if you're not playing games. Most of the time only one core will be running.

Which, of course, begs the question why buy a Tegra 3 if four-fifths of it won't be used 99 per cent of the time?

I suppose for the same reason I have a 2600K and a GTX 560. So that when I decide I want to do something other than visit a website or write in a forum, like play a game of BF3 or take a little fly around on FSX for example, I have the power and ability to do so.

I too am waiting for the Transformer Prime. Personally, I have not invested in a table so far because I was waiting for the software / hardware to mature. I think ICS is the going to work well on a tablet as powerfull as the Prime and it should be worth the money. Lets see the price it is released at.

Silver badge
Pint

take aim....

I'm waiting for the Win8 version of the Transformer Prime.

(Insert jeers of "LOL FISHER PRICE FGT" here)

Why? Because I can bring it home from work, undock the screen and do tablet stuff whereas at work, it's a notepad that works with everything.

So hate away, it makes sense for me.

Anonymous Coward

Actually it's 4+1 cores.

There is one very low power core that handles the background stuff when the device is "idle/off", such as mail check etc.

As soon as there is demand for more power (e.g. web browsing, games, image processing, etc) the low power core hands over the job to the quad-cores. Which, being quad-core finish the job faster than dual cores (then power down), so the total power consumption is comparable to a dual-core setup (even without accounting in advances in power consumption tech such as fab processes etc).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums