back to article Online store offers secondhand MP3 marketplace

One of the most disappointing aspects to the digital music era is the decline of the secondhand CD and LP trade. Startup ReDigi claims to have addressed that issue by opening what it reckons is "the world's first online marketplace to legally recycle, buy and sell, used digital music files". Redigi Only files that have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Money for old rope?

Just the concept of dell boy trying to flog second hand mp3's is enough for me, great laugh for a monday morning.

2. Mike Street
    FAIL

Good Luck With That

So, in order to get a few vouchers I have to give you sufficient access to my PC so that you can delete any files you feel like.

Thanks, but no thanks.

1. auburnman

Agreed. What happens if I'm selling a spare, e.g. a digital copy I bought online because I lost the original CD lost years ago and just found it again? Is this malware going to delete my rightful copy every time I try to put it back on my PC?

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Are they mad?

The description of the proposed functionality exactly matches the definition of a "trojan rootkit".

Yeah, either mad or high on something illegal...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

seriously?

So you have one PC with their software on it and store copies of all your music elsewhere. This will never work as there's too many ways to circumvent the checks.

5. Ralph B
    FAIL

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Let me count the ways ... oops, integer overflow.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMWare Server is a free download.

Just sayin'

7. Richard Ball

grants a portion of each sale to the artists and record labels.

And their currency is coupons and credit - so the musicians and engineers who created the media that's being traded can eat / live in / drive / feed their families with recycled mp3's. That's really fair.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    WTF?

I hope no one invested money in this scheme

If they did, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale...

9. TonyHoyle
    FAIL

They won't last a week...

"When a file is uploaded for resale, it is automatically removed from the seller's computer and all synced devices"

Good luck with that.

10. cs94njw
    FAIL

I give it 2 months, before the labels jump on it (irregardless of any existing deals) or there's no customers.

11. calumg

So how does this stop you burning your mp3s to CD?

How about this suggestion: anybody can legally transfer mp3s to any third party at any time for no cost, no consent from the publisher, no registration process. Lending mp3s is legal.

This isn't as utterly nutty as it sounds. Once you break the rules (i.e. double-lending, double-selling) you are infringing copyright. If people really want to infringe copyright, then they can anyway. You've not lost a sale so why stress? Better to have laws which are practicable and workable than this ridiculous technical charade of DRM and the ReDigi rootkit.

This topic is closed for new posts.