Feeds

back to article Russia successfully launches Glonass-M

Russia has successfully launched another Glonass-M navigation satellite into orbit today. Russian space boffins kept themselves busy while waiting for tonight's attempt to contact lost Martian probe Phobos-Grunt by sending the Glonass-M up on a Soyuz booster from the Plesetsk space centre, state news agency RIA Novosti reported …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

GLONASS satilites are in polar orbits

So they give better fixes for people in far northern/southern latitudes. It's also possible to create hybrid GPS/GLONASS systems, thus increasing your chance of getting an accurate position. Looks like good news whichever way you look at it.

Meh

AFAIK...

The iPhone 4S uses the hybrid GPS/GLONASS system...

I don't have an iPhone 4S, and don't know anyone around here who does, so I can't verify without some googling.

Which I'm too lazy to do right now.

Anonymous Coward

Yes it does

It's right there on the tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

"Assisted GPS and GLONASS"

Gimp

not only Apple you know

Quite a few phones released this year already support GPS/GLONASS. The 2011 SE Xperias in particular.

That's what I hate about the flocks of Apple fanboys- they're so vocal that they make you think that their iDevices have something that other phones do not.

Anonymous Coward

Paul

You would be welcome to state that without the added agro, but now feel free to expand on the "quite a few" since you only give one example...

It's natural that all phones with a significant market will go for it since Russia plans to ban any phone that doesn't support it.

DJV
Happy

Maybe GLONASS can give Phobos-Grunt a shove whilst it's up there...

Silver badge

Not quite polar

Glonas is about 68deg inclination, GPS is 55 deg.

So apparently America hasn't considered invading anywhere north of Newcastle - can't say I blame them.

Pirate

erk

I never thought I'd say the words "They really need a Brand Naming consultant", but there you go. What are they going to call the next one? Phyz-Gonorf?

It's actually an abreviation.

GLONASS sounds cool to me.

Thumb Up

I think GLONASS is a good name...

"Glowin' Ass" for a rocket is shurely a picture of a successful rocket launch!

This topic is closed for new posts.