Feeds

back to article Oz gummint looks into seniors’ cyber-safety

Older Australians, it seems, have better sense than people think: concerns about Internet security is crimping their enthusiasm for getting online, so the government is launching an inquiry. The parliament’s Joint Select Committee on Cyber-Safety says it’s going to run the inquiry between now and 17 February 2012, in response to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Mushroom

I bloody well object!

As an official Old Fogey, I'm constantly pissed off by the presumption that I know nothing about so-called cyber-safety. I know a helluva lot more about it than most of you kids do, and I'm more than capable of looking after my online security, thank you very bloody much,

Now get off my lawn before I wave my walking stick at you.

Anonymous Coward

+1!

Another Olde Pharte here who also spends more than his fair share of his retirement fixing computers for friends and family. IMHO most of my age group seem to have a fair handle on spam, cons, hoaxes and the like.

Dear Julia,

We're not all drooling ijits you know.

Would that the gummint spent my money on something a bit more useful.

Love and kisses,

Self funded retired olde pharte.

Paleoflatus

I'm only 83 years old. I use Linux debian sid, regularly updated with the smxi script. Where security is an issue, my passwords are at least 12 characters long, with a mix of numbers, upper case, lower case, punctuation marks etc. My passwords contain no word, or part of a word. My e-mail is encrypted and I use an encrypted search engine. I have phishing and malware protection and avoid opening hypertext links and attachments, unless I'm happy about their origin. I have tor installed and use it, occasionally. Nobody has ever gained administrator privileges in my computers in 15 years of using Linux.

I relinquished my seniority when I retired, but I hope internet security doesn't become too arduous a problem for me, if I ever become Senior again!

Thumb Up

Awesome

It's nice to know people still learn and explore after grade school (and have and use common sense).

Bronze badge
Headmaster

U u pick me ! pick me !

I know ! I know !

Have the feds build a very expensive website, and have each state do the same. Also the feds create a CD mailed to every old fogeys home that is patronising.

Mandate that the silly old buggers have to do the state course - but hide all the videos behind the new filter !

Sound cynical ??? Why this is what they did for cybersafety & digital citizenship for year 10 students (old folks homes = school, internet filter = departmental filter) .

Icon - although I have lost weight I still look like him !

Anonymous Coward

Old people aren't the problem at all, especially not those who have adopted new tech.

Old people are cautious and careful.

However, people in the 30 to 50 age range shouldn't be allowed near technology.

Anonymous Coward

State web courses?

Practically done already, here's the first cut -

http://www.informationeconomy.sa.gov.au/forwardit

Just need the tests adding

This topic is closed for new posts.