back to article Pro-game MP rewrites Modern Warfare censure motion

The House of Commons has changed its opinion that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 mimics the London bombings, amending an Early Day Motion that proposed the BBFC take further precautions when allowing a game to be sold. The revamped EDM now goes as far as to actually praise Activision's big-seller. Labour MP Tom Watson (West …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

shocked!!!

I'm somewhat gobsmacked to discover something sensible has happened in parliment.

Where's Toto, surely this is all just a dream....

2. Paul Berry
    Stop

Evidence?

"There is increasing evidence of a link between perpetrators of violent crime and violent video games users."

What evidence would that be then?

1. Liam Johnson

I would have though that the link is pretty obvious. The link between "perpetrators of violent crime" and "the USERS of violent video games" is not so well documented.

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Evidence

I would guess there's also a link between "perpetrators of violent crime" and crisps, cashpoints, toilet roll, and trousers amongst many other things.

3. Ben Holmes
    Unhappy

Ugh. I agree with a Labour MP on something. I feel dirty.

4. Thomas 4

One to watch

This isn't the first time Tom Watson has spoken up on behalf of games. I vaguely recall his name being mentioned in the Manhunt 2 debacle with a pro-gamer view.

It's strange to find an MP that actively champions a cause I have an interest in.

5. Pat 11

Grown up discussion, anyone?

There's pretty balanced review in this week's Nature Reviews Neuroscience:

http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v12/n12/abs/nrn3135.html

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Say it ain't so!!

Parliament showing a modicum of common sense?? Shouldn't be allowed.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Ian Stephenson
    Trollface

So to translate into l337...

Tom Watson is saying STFU n00b to Keith Vaz?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit of an overstatement

Claiming that "the House of Commons has changed its opinion" is a bit of an overstatement considering that this is just an early day motion that hasn't been debated and Tom Watson's amendment is merely a proposed amendment.

This is never going to get debated in parliament.

As I wont get the chance the play MW3 until Santa delivers it to my son on Christmas morning I can't say for certain who's right but let's just say I trust Tom Watson a lot more on these issues. Wanting to ban things is nothing new for Vaz anyway...remember his stance on The Satanic Verses anyone?

1. dotdavid
      Mushroom

True

Also, only Tom Watson has signed the amended motion so far.

Hmm... one man vs parliament. It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

2. Red Bren
      WTF?

BBFC Rating?

Your 18+ year old son is waiting for Santa to deliver this game on Christmas morning?

1. lemmac

Who else is gonna deliver it?

His tooth fairy credits expired some years back.

2. Miek
        Coat

No he's waiting for his 18+ son to receive said game from santa before it can be confiscated appropriately and 'fully tested' to ensure it's suitability and value for money ;)

10. lemmac

do the [insert enemy of the day here] parents love their children too?

"notes in particular the harrowing scenes in which a London Underground train is bombed by terrorists, bearing a remarkable resemblance to the tragic events of 7 July 2005"

forgetting of course the rest of the game's remarkable resemblance to the myriad of Western led illegal wars and intervention in Middle Eastern, South American and African countries for political and economic gain waged against a fictitious 'enemy of the day' thinly veiled behind the guise of democracy and human rights and the need protect our so called 'freedoms' to such an overwhelming extent that even our own civil liberties are seen as obstacles to that same end...

...erm... yeah, right

11. Ben Bawden

During the hacking scandal, I have been very impressed with Tom Watson.

This is another + for him.

12. Ben Norris
    Thumb Up

Often it seems that Tom Watson is the only sensible politician around!

13. silent_count
    Joke

And in breaking news, Labor MP, Tom Watson has taken the whole parliament hostage using a cache of weapons believed to include a M-16, a 50 cal. pistol and a selection of grenades.

In a statement made via his tactical radio Watson, who has requested that he be referred to by his online "handle" WTFHEADSHOT_BOOOOM, says he deplores the perception of a link between video games and violent crime. "These tards are jelly of mah leet MW3 skillz", he said. "Now imma pWn dees n00bs harder than eeva".

The camouflage-dressed Watson was last seen sprinting very obtrusively from one conveniently placed shadow to the next looking for a "save point".

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

when do terrorists bomb an underground train in MW3?

I remember them using a train to escape the SAS and said train being derailed by hitting one of the trucks driven by the SAS... don't remember it getting bombed though.

If Vaz et al can't even get the plot line right, how much do you want to bet they've never even seen the game?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like